Summit Registers

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Summit Registers

Post by alpinemike »

I think it goes without saying that summit registers are one of those things that climbers/backpackers alike either love or hate. Some find them unnatural on the mountain top and wish they weren't up there. Others, including myself and I know many others enjoy the history that they provide about climbed fairly frequently visited peaks along with remote and extremely unclimbed peaks. I have found a recurring theme in recent posts about peaks.. especially those that are remote and many unnamed or informally named. And that is people posting photos of the registers.. and especially old ones. As much as I personally would love to see these and have the opportunity to know where to go to see them.. I must ask for the sake of their safety for everyone to stop posting photos of locations of old registers. I think many of us know that many summit registers have gone missing because they have been stolen. And posting locations of more old registers only entices these individuals more to steal them. So once again please for the safety of these registers do not post photos of them or describe to us how old the registers are. These are sad times we must live in if we have to keep them secret but such is the case. The same goes for talking about them. If you want your registers to stay on the mountain tops then don't talk about them.

I hope that I am not out of line requesting this but it breaks my heart knowing that so many historic and preserved registers have been stollen in recent years. So, lets not add or contribute to more getting stolen please.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Summit Registers

Post by maverick »

I hope that I am not out of line requesting this but it breaks my heart knowing that so many historic and preserved registers have been stolen in recent years. So, lets not add or contribute to more getting stolen please.
Out of line, not at all Mike.
Really hope not posting the location of registers, or describing their locations helps with cutting back the theft of these registers, but to be honest, the folks involved in committing these acts of theft, have no moral character, so it is highly unlikely they will discontinue their actions. :(
You will always have a few people, who will commit these despicable acts, remember the individual who used a saw to cut out Native American artifacts near Alabama Hills? How low can they go?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org