Help planning for late 2016 trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Help planning for late 2016 trip

Post by maverick »

I will say that the response of AlmostThere to be excellent and you should carefully consider EVERYTHING he wrote.
She wrote. ;)
I agree that it is important to be polite and friendly in response to questions, especially those posed by newcomers. I myself have felt discouraged from asking questions in this forum due to the tone of responses I have received. I assume the point of the forum is to share information and help backpackers to be educated and prepared.
Balance I've learned my lesson on posting on here. I won't be making that mistake again. I think only a couple people actually helped me, and those people I'm grateful.
Tone is very difficult to interpret without knowing the poster, and can be misunderstood, not saying that this is the case here, but it does happen many times in open forums. Please do not judge HST based on these exchanges, we are a very knowledgeable, open, and helpful group, sometimes direct to the point, without mincing words, but all with very good intentions. Like with many things on the net, you just need to sieve through all the information given, learn from the gems you receive, and tune out noise.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

kwyjibo wrote:
Balance I've learned my lesson on posting on here. I won't be making that mistake again. I think only a couple people actually helped me, and those people I'm grateful.

Good luck with your trip. This forum is known as "High Sierra Toxic" on a private Sierra Facebook group and unfortunately much of this thread demonstrates why.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

To draw an analogy - Much like the the transition between junior high and high school, each year a new crop of students (freshmen) enter into an alien reality where, (for the very first time for some), are actually held responsible for their actions. In school, the resultant failings are only bad grades...in the Sierra, the possibility of injury or death becomes more problematic. Sierra or high school, these new-comers often come/enter with a snarky attitude, foolishly thinking they already know all the answers, only soon to be met by unforeseen real world situations. Often, rules (see above dog response) are encountered which they disagree with and subsequently, then foolishly label them as stupid.

Our Sierra (much like high school) is a stark, mystical place...at first glance, seemingly benign, but fraught with unseen perils. Here at HST, experienced members, some with 40+ years of backcountry experience (seniors?) offer learned wisdom gleaned over time. Their answers here, some may initially appear a bit curt, cold, or brunt, but are truthful, overt, and proven...responses are based on fact and in the best interest to all. Sorry that some of our educated responses may run counter to novice beliefs.

Whatever, one thing we do not do here is hide behind the guise of a un-named (super secret?) Facebook forum and call out names...toxic?

marskor
Mountainman who swims with trout