Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Time to announce the location and dates, of our 3rd annual Meet-up, letting everyone know early, so you can plan ahead. :)

The last two meet-ups took place in SEKI, we shall move north, into Yosemite this time around.

One thing before divulging the next Meet-up location. Would request everyone interested in attending, to please consider spend 2 days at the Meet-up site, that would be the arrival day (night 1) and then the next full day (night 2), before heading on to your next location.
This will allow everyone a chance to get to know one another better, which is what this whole meet-up is about, building new friendships, hopefully long lasting ones, with fellow mountain sister and brothers from HST, in a special backcountry location, as this one is. Thank you for considering my request.

Now without-further-ado:

Dates are 7/28 and 7/29, this should be late enough in case we do get the big El Nino some forecasters are predicting.

Location is in wonderland of blue and emerald green lakes, with beautiful peaks towering all around, also has an Ansel Adams classic photo location on the way to it, can be accessed from a multitude of locations, which makes it prime for some creative route planning, for those of you who want to tie it into a longer excursion. Those of you who have been fortunate to visit this area, know that it is one of the best, if not the best section of Yosemite, and will it definitely satisfy all our members needs.

Location in the cross hairs: HST Map
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Blah every year I want to make it out but all my preliminary planning of 2016 has me moving South around that time frame.

Oh well maybe some more of you will bump into me wandering around out there next summer.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Beautiful, that's exactly what my dad and I are planning this summer from Isberg, go to the Lyell fork then maybe over to Twin Island. May have some dates now, thanks Maverick!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That's a Bummer Rogue! :(

Charles, that's great, looking forward to meeting you and you dad. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Mav

I really don't appreciate attracting people to my favorite area in the Sierra! :-({|=

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav

I really don't appreciate attracting people to my favorite area in the Sierra! :-({|=

Mike
Sorry Mike, but these aren't just people, they are HST people! Thought your home turf is a little more south towards Harriet Mikey, don't worry, we will take good care of the area. ;)

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Thank goodness you yielded on that 'other' site. So how does one get to this area from mammoth? Looks like 2 day min travel. Any non class 3 loops? Stoked - got the date blocked out.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hobbes,

The most direct from the Mammoth area is Rogers Pass, class 2 above Marie Lakes, and probably what you will want to use, if you have two days to get to the Meet-up location: HST Map

The other way is a more round about way, following the creek from the Ritter Lakes down to the Twin Lakes area, then up into Bench Canyon, from where you have a choice of using Old Bones Pass or Blue Lakes Pass, BLP is easier, OBP is more direct. These options would allow you to visit, two distinctly different areas by coming one of these passes, then exiting via Rogers, and back to the Mammoth area.
HST Map
HST Map

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I may be in! I can do a very modified SHR, get Ritter/Banner and many other peaks in the process!

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It would have been nice to have gone back there. My last visit to that lake I had a massive gash in my finger and a cracked tail bone. Be careful those of you that use Rogers Pass! It almost killed me!