hiking classifications

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: hiking classifications

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The Rogue: Uses the mountains as an escape from an undesirable societal life. Willing to tackle almost anything with no regard or desire for self preservation.

:p
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Jimr wrote:The gang hiker - any combination of the above who hikes in meet-up groups.
Except my meetup groups...
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

AT, that was a jab at the Sierra Club :D
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Jimr wrote:AT, that was a jab at the Sierra Club :D
Ah, I didn't see the word hypocrisy in there.... Given the rules and the outcomes, one would expect it. :rolleyes:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

markskor wrote
BTW, where are we going next year?
We?

Mike :lmao
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:markskor wrote
BTW, where are we going next year?
We?

Mike :lmao
Maybe make Mark plan your trip? that should be fun...
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Labels Labels Labels.... I just can't see the need to classify everyone into a multitude of categories. I probably have various characteristics of at least four of those groups. At times I have had to strap the bear canister on the top of my pack which towered above my head, have carried a 70 lb. pack, carried a multitude of extra stuff in my first aid kit (and needed it!), usually stick to trails but go off trail on a whim, hike alone, have the best gear I can afford (sometimes the latest & greatest but usually not), try to go as light as possible now that I am older etc. etc. Any label is transitory with the circumstances of your life and experience ever changing. :-)
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I believe what Cloudy said is true. I don't think anybody was trying to clasify everyone. I just think people were having fun with this. My comment was the furtest from classification and mine didn't really say anything remotly important.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Really enjoyed the responses like WD's or AT's...where you can feel the trail angst. Lots of subtle information contained there. BTW, Whatever classification mentioned, we all have our Sierra's well-being in common.

Most backpackers are the hardy sort - many are loners, maybe a bit introverted but usually quick to respond to any interesting situation Sierra. Many here are experienced, seen it, done it - made mistakes...got into situations that are questionable, and learned.

Most old-timers also develop a sarcastic side too (quick to point out ironies seen, foolish mistakes made...anything is fair game). Backpackers have thick skins (at least the ones I hike with)...not so readily offended by disagreement.

So lighten up everybody, maybe grow a pair...HYOH, carry whatever backpack/gear you want...nobody is going to carry it for you. Just get out there.
This thread started was in fun...just a way of pointing out some of the many quirks observed.

The "Dish it out but can't take it" hiker.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

And it is all in fun. I was going to respond to Rogue that he is a class all his own, but I suspect he's not. He's just got the huevos to own it out loud.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.