Fish Soup

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Arun
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Fish Soup

Post by Arun »

So I don't get the "Lurker" status (though I've done a bunch of it), I figure I best contribute...

Here's a soup that's now my favorite backcountry meal thanks to a friend.

[ ] Catch and fillet your fish (I used ~11-12" fish, filleted with skin left on).
[ ] Get the water boiling (I add a bit more than called for)
[ ] Add the flavor packet(s)
[ ] Optional add-ins: Red-pepper flakes, olive oil, Thai pepper (or the like), pepper, dried mushrooms
[ ] Put in the fish
[ ] Add noodles
[ ] Bring it to a simmer then turn the heat off
[ ] Cover and let sit until cool enough you won't burn the roof of your mouth (like I did).

Some food tastes great on a backpack trip, but not-so-much at home. Not this one. I've made it with smallmouth bass fillets at home many times now (especially good with fresh basil and bean sprouts).

The friend that showed me this meal didn't fillet his fish, but put it in the boiling/flavored water until cooked, then took it out, finished making the soup and ate the fish and soup separately. That looked good too, didn't waste any of the fish, and was easier.

There, now I've contributed & can go back to lurking.... but don't be buying out the ramen so there's none on the store shelf when I'm looking for it.
Knife & Trout Fillets (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fish Soup

Post by rlown »

Arun,

Welcome to the HST! Maybe show us your trout kit? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4124

Nice knife as well. should probably be moved to the food topix area, but i'll leave that to the Mods/Admins.
Arun
Topix Novice

Post by Arun »

rlown wrote:Nice knife as well
I don't really like backpacking or fishing, but every now and then the knife insists on it.

I waited a lifetime to get that thing, and in some strange way it enhances the experience and helps me retain the memories. I'll be gutting or filleting something with it here, and have the memory of those high-country trout come into view.

I have some other packing equipment I've been carrying into the woods since I was a kid that does the same thing when I use it... bring good memories back.

And yeah, moving the post to the Food category makes sense.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Same soup and concept- but this also works well for smaller fish. Just drop the cleaned fish into the pot and de-bone in before adding other ingredients. Faster options than noodles (unless they are Raman) -- cous cous also works well or some instant potatoes for a thick potato-fish soup. If I use noodles, rice, or freeze dried vegetables, I cook the fish with these, otherwise the fish meat gets overcooked. Then I de-bone just before eating.
Arun
Topix Novice

Post by Arun »

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I'd recommend using rice noodles, just not the wide ones of course. You don't even use boiling water to cook them at home, just bring the water to a boil then remove from heat and add noodles. Takes about 5 minutes for the medium noodles, less time as the noodles get thinner, as in the size you would normally use for a Thai soup. I tried it at home with coconut cream powder, powdered lemon grass, thai chili pepper mix, a little coconut oil/grease, and fish. Seemed like it was missing something, but it wasn't bad. I'll figure it out before I head into the Sierra in 2017. I hope.