Thank you fellow hiker

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
starankle hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Thank you fellow hiker

Post by starankle hiker »

Just want to give a big thank you to a fellow hiker that found my tent poles on the High Trail, there fell out of my pack on day one. Since we were doing a loop I pretty much wrote them off, as we were hiking out the last day on the River trail I said lets go bye the High Trail-trail head and just maybe someone left them there for us, and low and behold there they were leaning up on a log by the trail head, just icing on the cake to an incredible weekend. Don't know if that person is on the board here, but thank you if you are. Wife and I had the pleasure to be out for 3 days this last weekend. Absolutely beautiful weather. We hiked from Agnew Meadow PCT high trail to TIL, cross country over the west end to Garnet, to the JMT, to Ediza Lake and then back out the River Trail. I'll try to put a little trip report together. We would ask people if they came up the High Trail and if they saw some poles laying on the trail, most said no, but we ran into a young couple on at the JMT and Ediza Lake intersection that said yes we saw them, someone propped them up on a rock or log were they fell, I said to my wife just maybe a hiker would grab them and bring them down to the trail head.

Thanks Hiker =D>
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Thank you fellow hiker

Post by balzaccom »

Nice story. Glad it had such a happy ending. I never know what to do with equipment I find on the trail. IF it looks new and nice, I often leave it there...assuming someone will come back looking for it.

But the last time I did that, I met the person who lost it a day later...and she was so sad that I didn't have it with me...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by psykokid »

I found a Nikon lens cap on the trail a couple of weeks ago heading up from Horseshoe Meadows to Langley, right before the border with Golden Trout and John Muir Wilderness. I picked it up and put it in my pocket. Later that afternoon I came across a guy coming down Langley as I was going up with a Nikon across his chest missing a lens cap. I asked him if he had lost his cap, turns out the one I found was his.
starankle hiker
Topix Novice

Post by starankle hiker »

balzaccom wrote:Nice story. Glad it had such a happy ending. I never know what to do with equipment I find on the trail. IF it looks new and nice, I often leave it there...assuming someone will come back looking for it.

But the last time I did that, I met the person who lost it a day later...and she was so sad that I didn't have it with me...
Yea that's what the couple on the trail said, its a tough call. Monday morning we found a nice coffee mug on a rock just off the trail leaving Ediza, a group came in after dark and we saw there headlights in that area. I put the cup right by the trail hoping it gets back to its owner.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yea that's what the couple on the trail said, its a tough call. Monday morning we found a nice coffee mug on a rock just off the trail leaving Ediza, a group came in after dark and we saw there headlights in that area. I put the cup right by the trail hoping it gets back to its owner.
One of our members, who was attending 2014 Meet-up, left their water bottle on the bear boxes at the HST/Wallace Lake junction. We had made it to Wrights Creek before they noticed it missing. We ran back, only to find out it was taken by a group doing the HST, the group was about 1/2 mile up the trail before we reached them, and retrieving the water bottle. I personally would have not touch anyone's water bottle, hoping that they too would notice it early enough to come back and retrieve it from the same location.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Last year I aborted a trip up from Virginia lakes as there was a fire that got fanned by Half Dome and dumped smoke into the valley. I put my trekking poles against the car and loaded my pack into the car. Drove away and when I got to my cg for the night I realized that I forgot them... Too far to go back but when I went back in the morning to do day hiking, they were there. Someone left them leaning on the berm!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

maverick wrote: One of our members, who was attending 2014 Meet-up, left their water bottle on the bear boxes at the HST/Wallace Lake junction. We had made it to Wrights Creek before they noticed it missing. We ran back, only to find out it was taken by a group doing the HST, the group was about 1/2 mile up the trail before we reached them, and retrieving the water bottle. I personally would have not touch anyone's water bottle, hoping that they too would notice it early enough to come back and retrieve it from the same location.
Say, I know that hack! Who would be so dumb as to leave their water bottle :rolleyes:

This year, while heading up to Cottonwood pass, I found a pair of running shoes that must have become untied from its pack and ended up on the trail. From time to time, I was catching a glimpse of a hiker ahead of me. I grabbed the shoes and kicked it up a notch to catch up with him. When I finally got within shouting distance, I got his attention and asked if they were his. They weren't, so I put them on the next large rock I came across hoping the person who lost them was doing an out n' back.

I'm kind of paranoid with my trekking poles. My old poles were homemade, 'cause I'm cheap. They were old tyrolean style bamboo ski poles that I cut down, cut the snow cup off and sanded the point attachment smooth so they would stop catching on rocks. Last May, I left them leaning against my truck at the Kearsarge Pass TH, then drove off. I didn't notice them missing until July, so I had to break down and buy some proper poles.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I run across stuff all the time on the trail. Usually small things like lens caps, paperback book or sun glasses. Normally I place them on a rock or log next to the trail. However, at Middle Velma Lake near Tahoe a few years ago I found a sleeping bag in its neon green stuff sack in my camping spot! Looked like it might have rolled away under a bush while the owner was packing up. It was dusk so I just kept it in my camp spot in case the owner came back around. They didn't. Can you imagine the shock of that unlucky hiker when they stopped at their next campsite?