Locked ammo box for bear cannister?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Locked ammo box for bear cannister?

Post by Brien »

Aside from all the points above I can't get past the weight difference. Why you'd want to carry a 4 lb. ammo can over a 2.5 lb. bear canister bewilders me. All I'm ever trying to do is to forego "luxuries" to save weight.
paul
Topix Expert

bearikades NOT airtight

Post by paul »

I think it should be clarified that Bearikades are not airtight or watertight, just so no one gets into trouble by using one in a way that relies on it being airtight or watertight. The manufacturer uses the words " moisture resistant" in describing the seal. Some users have reported leaks after a rainy night; mine have not leaked but I've never had them heavily rained on. But I would not submerge it and expect to keep the contents dry.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

turn your can upside down in a rainstorm on a well drained area so if you have an old seal that needs to be replaced, or 3, it'll stay dry. I know mine is airtight still. When i get home back to sea level and open it, there's a pretty good WHOOOSH that happens. :)

At least it doesn't try and crush itself like all the empty water bottles on the back seat making crackling sounds.

I love the elevation changes. Always fun to watch.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Re: bearikades NOT airtight

Post by longri »

paul wrote:I think it should be clarified that Bearikades are not airtight or watertight, just so no one gets into trouble by using one in a way that relies on it being airtight or watertight. The manufacturer uses the words " moisture resistant" in describing the seal. Some users have reported leaks after a rainy night; mine have not leaked but I've never had them heavily rained on. But I would not submerge it and expect to keep the contents dry.
Gets into trouble? You mean like, using one as a personal flotation device or something?

My Bearikade -- when it was new -- was most obviously, undeniably and reliably air tight. So water tight it must have been too. It hardly ever rains in the Sierra beyond relatively brief thunderstorms so I don't recall it ever being tested. Now that the seals have shrunk and cracked it isn't tight in any way and may eventually develop a loose rattle to the lid. But if I replaced the seals or had maintained them better in the first place with an appropriate grease I think my can would again/still be air tight.

Wild Ideas doesn't sell the seals though. I'd have to size them and source them myself, something I'll probably never get around to doing.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I have three Bearikades and a Bearvault. None are air tight, never were. All Bearikades will get wet inside if you expose their top to rain for extended periods. Got no experience with the Bearvault in rain, but I assume they will resist rain better than the Bearikades if kept upright. Fresh O-rings for the Bearikade lock pins only go so far to completely seal the canister. A little silicone spray may help get it close to perfect, but it really isn't a big deal unless you try to use it as a floatation device in a lake :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

anyone who opened their can and found teeny, tiny, itty bitty red ants inside can vouch for them being less than air tight. like me.

I have a bearikade, bare boxer and bear vault. the bearikade has a tighter seal. bear vault sort of floats in a creek, but it'll be soup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

fishmonger wrote: A little silicone spray may help
O-ring material can be odd stuff and some silicon sprays contain compounds that will hasten deterioration, so be careful. On my Bearicaide, I found the screw O-rings to be in perfect condition, but the lid O-ring was cracked and shot.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

My Bearikade would always POP like a big vacuum packed can of food when I opened it after coming out of the mountains. I still found bugs inside occasionally, but I'm pretty sure they didn't get in past the seals. They probably got in on the nights I fell asleep with the can still open.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Don't use silicone spray for o-rings. Go down to a dive shop or somewhere that sells environmental silicone. It's the consistency of grease and will not harm the o-rings.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

From the Bearikade FAQ
Bearikade Maintenance
Your Bearikade food canister requires very little maintenance.

The only moving parts are the quarter turn Dzus fasteners with nitrile o-rings under their heads.

When you notice that the torque needed to turn the fastener is higher than you want, work a little silicone grease (or vaseline) under the head to lubricate the rubber o-ring.