Movies: Everest and Meru

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Movies: Everest and Meru

Post by Tom_H »

A Walk in the Woods got pulled before I had a chance to see it. Everest is still playing. There's also a documentary Meru playing in a few theaters. Meru is a shark fin rock climb in the Himalayas and is considered one of the world's hardest climbs.

Was thinking I might go see one or the other tomorrow. Does anyone have any reviews to offer on either film?
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Movies: Everest and Meru

Post by seanr »

Well, I didn't make an Indian Summer drive to the Sierra, so I have time to comment.

Meru is an inspiring blend of scenery, adventure, and character development, with plenty of stellar climbing and backcountry footage. The subject matter is somewhat more unique than that of the other two films. It would be hard to walk away regretting having invested time in it.

I haven't seen Everest. I suspected from a preview I saw that it has a bit more of a mainstream Hollywood feel, but several folks on SP enjoyed it and didn't seem to find much of the obnoxiously over the top action movie schlock seen in stereotypically bad climbing movies. Some commented that the scenery alone is worth watching, while others found it a good addition to the many stories from that notorious season. Being that I haven't studied any of the piles of material on that subject, I will probably watch it and at least enjoy it as a scenic summary.