Speeding In Yosemite

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Speeding In Yosemite

Post by SSSdave »

I do recall being given a warning in Yosemite for speeding maybe 3 decades ago. Never heard of a written warning. As an impatient twentysomething I admittedly had some bad habits including speeding and also recall getting a verbal warning down near Bishop.

Beyond your issue, on the yosemiteinfo board there have been some discussions about all the speeding cars that result in numbers of dead deer and bear each year. Personally have been an advocate for park police to take off their kids gloves and start handing out more tickets as pain is the only thing some understand in this era. Although SR120 is posted mostly at 45 mph, there are significant numbers of drivers doing 55 to 65 mph with annoying tail gating behaviors for any driver that are at limits. Down on the valley loop same thing with many vehicles going over 45 mph and tailgating any vehicles at the 35 mph limit. However because it is 2 lanes in the forward direction speeders tend to go around drivers like this person.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yes...but there are also RVs on 120 over Tioga Pass driving 22 mph and taking over part the on-coming lane, too. sigh.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

balzaccom wrote:Yes...but there are also RVs on 120 over Tioga Pass driving 22 mph and taking over part the on-coming lane, too. sigh.
And even if you hi-beam them, they don't use the turnouts. ](*,)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes...but there are also RVs on 120 over Tioga Pass driving 22 mph and taking over part the on-coming lane, too. sigh.
By law, RV's are supposed to pull to the side, whenever 5 or more vehicles are following. Is it different in Yosemite NP?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It's not just RV's. Anyone with 5 cars behind is supposed to use the turnouts, but they don't. If I'm slower than someone behind me, I will use them because I love the fact that someone faster is in front of me as a Bear, Deer and Cop deterrent. :)
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Asked a Ranger, what is the biggest danger in Yosemite...drowning, falling, etc.
Surprised by the answer...A rented RV. Anybody can rent one of these with zero instruction.

"5 cars behind and pull over" may be the law, but along the 120 corridor, in the summer, realistically expect 25 mph and 30 car parades - obviously clueless... no thoughts/ ideas about using any turnout.
Mountainman who swims with trout
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Also important to note that once stopped, it's hard to get an RV or fifth-wheel going again unless it's powered by a heavy diesel pusher. The best thing to do in that situation is to regularly slow at the turnouts and let the one or two cars that built up go by without coming to a complete stop. RV renters don't know this and/or don't care.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I avoid rental RV's while on the road like the plague. 90% of the time the driver has no clue..

I am well averse to using turnouts as I'm usually the slow one. My truck will go anywhere I point it, albeit in a slow steady manner. Asking it to go fast (especially uphill) is like asking a three toed sloth to sprint..
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you, my friend need a turbo on that truck!

I prefer to drive the 120 at night. Yes, increased risk of deer/bear, but no RV's..
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Rented Rv's and U-Hauls. I steer away from both like the plague. Any yahoo with a license can rent them; but not many can "drive" them.
Drive with conviction and as far ahead as possible; plan your next move and have an "out" if someone else does something stupid...

Russ, I like turbos and superchargers too! :wink: Gives you "options"