Bottles vs Bladders

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bottles vs Bladders

Post by maverick »

Which do you prefer? Did you start off with bottles, and then switched over to bladders? What were the pluses and negatives to you? How many tried bladders, but then switched back to bottles, and why?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Re: Bottles vs Bladders

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have always used bottles. Never even tried to do a bladder because I have never liked the idea of not knowing how much water I have. I like to add two pouches that I hang off the sides of my hip belt that hold my liter bottles and I have been content with that.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm a bottle and bladder guy. The bladder is in my pack with electrolytes If i don't think there is water along the trail. I dump it for bottles if I know there will be adequate water. I prefer the bottle. I once watched Mike try to put ice into one of his bladders and spill the 151 from the other bladder. Umm. Saved him some weight i guess. I always care the 151 in it's own bottle.. then two other bottles: 1 for water and the other for the evening mix. interchangeable.

I've also seen older bottles just explode in the cold. Have to refresh your gear occasionally. I don't use the bladder for camp. Just the bottle for nighttime use.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I use a 2 liter off-brand bladder that's easier to dry out and clean as my main reservoir. I like to carry Gatorade powder so I also bring a liter Gatorade bottle I refill. Between the two I can choose what type and how much liquid to carry in each. The bottle is also good for making spoons when a bird flies off with yours. :angry:
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Is it an either/or choice? I use both. Bladder for a sip on the trail, bottle for a longer break or mixing.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Tried bladders for a season -
Took up too much room in my 60 backpack,
+ rode too high - balance was off.

Then, one time, my platy burst inside my pack - I hate a wet sleeping bag.
Now, much like Rogue, two one-liter bottles carried/ attached to my waist belt - like pistols - pouches - easy to reach and put back with pack on.
BTW, also use an elastic band to secure the bottles - snaps/ wraps around/ over lids - keeps them safe. (see photo).

Always wonder about those choosing to carry 1 liter nalgenes instead of store-bought, one liter water bottles...
Weight savings for 2 bottles vs 2 heavy nalgenes = ~ 1 pound, and new (clean) bottles are readily available each trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Always wonder about those choosing to carry 1 liter nalgenes instead of store-bought, one liter water bottles...
Weight savings for 2 bottles vs 2 heavy nalgenes = ~ 1 pound, and new (clean) bottles are readily available each trip.
Did not carry store-bought bottles previously because of BPA, now there are some manufacturers that do not include these harmful chemicals in their bottles. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:Did not carry store-bought bottles previously because of BPA, now there are some manufacturers, that do not include these harmful chemicals in their bottles.
Ok.. So most here are older than the beginning of BPA usage. Damage already done. :-({|=

http://www.packagingdigest.com/shipping ... istory-bpa

A kind of funny side note. My friend Steve had about 5 Nalgene bottles back in 2009. His wife saw the news that BPA was bad, and she threw out all his bottles, unbeknownst to him :eek: He was kind of ticked off. A nice end to the story. He married someone else.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I've always used a bottle. It started with a plastic canteen many years ago, then went to Nalgene 1L. Last year, I went with two 1/2 L store bought, but didn't like it, so I went back to the Nalgene. I'll probably go to 1L store bought for weight savings and the Nalgene are a bit tight in my Baltoro 75 water pouch.

I carry a 1L Platypus Platy (I have 5 of them) rolled up in my first aid kit in case I need to carry extra water. It will be good to have if I switch to a store bought bottle in case of leaks, though I doubt that will happen.

Yes Mav, also in case I should ever walk off without my bottle again, I'll have a backup. ](*,)

I have a 2L Platypus courtesy of Hobbes that I used in the desert last spring. I'll be using that more often because I'd like to do more spring desert hiking.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I do both - I've got a 100 oz mil-spec dark grey Camelback that I normally have in my pack when hiking and then I carry a bottle for treating water to refill the bladder.