Mount Gould 9/27/15

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mount Gould 9/27/15

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

This past weekend, M and I enjoyed perfect weather and beautiful fall colors with a peakbagging car camp out of Onion Valley.

On Sunday, we set off on the very pleasant and well-graded trail to Kearsarge Pass.

University Peak over Big Pothole Lake:

We took a right when we reached Kearsarge Pass and simply followed the ridge while avoiding the big boulders. There were nice use-trails everywhere.

M said she read that there would be a few false summits so I heeded her warning as I hiked past. But I was fooled anyway when I saw this class 3 block in the distance:

This is the actual summit block:

I had to circle around this thing a little bit before I figured out a way up. It was so enjoyable and just the right amount of spice! We took in great views of Dragon Peak, Mount Bago, University Peak, Rixford and others, and chatted about possible traverses to Dragon or Rixford.

After signing the register, we headed down, chatted with some JMT through-hikers coming out for a resupply, and was back at camp in no time.
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;