Youtube Video Series Knowledge Dump

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Keegan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Youtube Video Series Knowledge Dump

Post by Keegan »

First off, hi there! This is my second post here. I don't know how it is that I *just* discovered this website after hiking in these mountains since 2001. But here I am. What a sensational resource this website is! I especially love the map you all have put together. Most excellent.

Ok, so I am in the midst of dumping all of my High Sierra knowledge online for the benefit those new to backpacking or new to this area. Is is by no means a definitive guide, and I'm sure people will disagree with some of my views. But that's not what it is about. It is simply my attempt to help someone by throwing my knowledge out into the public space.

I call the Youtube video series "Everything I Know about Backpacking in the Eastern Sierra." And it is just that. It is long. It is detailed. It is my attempt to help those who are interested in this area. There will be 11 parts in the series, and right now the first two are posted.

Check it out if you like, or pass it on to a friend. Either way, I hope it will help inform people and more importantly assist those who are eager to try their hand at traveling through the magical country I love so much, but don't know where to start. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7p0PjqWp2K

cheers,
keegan

P.S. As this is my 3rd post, and having just read the conditions of use of these forums: "Promotional Links / Content / SPAM:
Post content or member profiles containing links or other information where the intent is to advertise or promote third party websites, products or services will not be tolerated."

I want it to be clear that this is a not-for-profit project. I have spent countless hours on this for the good of others and will not make a penny. I am not promoting a product or a service, as there is no charge. And perhaps I am "promoting" Youtube, but as far as I can tell there is no place to host videos on HST. I just want to bare my intentions for all to see so there is no misunderstanding.
Last edited by Keegan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CentralCalBrewer
Topix Novice

Re: Youtube Video Series Knowledge Dump

Post by CentralCalBrewer »

AWESOME!!

I can't get enough hiking/backpacking youtubers (syntax77 is awesome too, but all east coast) while I'm sitting at my desk working and dying to be outside.

Looking forward to watch this progress.

Thanks!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Keegan wrote:P.S. As this is my 3rd post, and having just read the conditions of use of these forums: "Promotional Links / Content / SPAM:
Post content or member profiles containing links or other information where the intent is to advertise or promote third party websites, products or services will not be tolerated."

I want it to be clear that this is a not-for-profit project. I have spent countless hours on this for the good of others and will not make a penny. I am not promoting a product or a service, as there is no charge. And perhaps I am "promoting" Youtube, but as far as I can tell there is no place to host videos on HST. I just want to bare my intentions for all to see so there is no misunderstanding.
No worries. Your recognition of the terms is appreciated. I just posted your YT video to the HST FB page. Good stuff. Any reciprocal mention you can give would be awesome, but only if appropriate. Cheers. And welcome aboard!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Keegan
Topix Novice

Post by Keegan »

Thanks Eric. I already added a title at the end of Part 1 siting this as the best single resource on the web, and I stand behind that claim!
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

That was an awesome video and I watched it all! I will forward this website and video to my Boy Scout Troop, if that's okay.
Keegan
Topix Novice

Post by Keegan »

Definitely, forward away, and I'll try to get the remaining parts posted soon!
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Keegan wrote:Thanks Eric. I already added a title at the end of Part 1 siting this as the best single resource on the web, and I stand behind that claim!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Keegan
Topix Novice

Post by Keegan »

Just wanted to update this thread. This week I was able to upload parts 2-4 of my video series. More to come!

You can view these here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7p0PjqWp2K

1. INTRODUCTION / PLANNING A TRIP
2. BIG 3 - PACK, TENT, SLEEPING BAG
3. CLOTHES
4. FEET & WALKING
5. WATER
6. COOKING GEAR
7. SUITABLE KNIVES
8. FOOD
9. MISCELLANEOUS GEAR
10. DOGS
11. PHOTOGRAPHY
CentralCalBrewer
Topix Novice

Post by CentralCalBrewer »

(x-post from youtube for visibility)

Great series so far! Aren't open flame (alcohol and esbit) stoves prohibited in the Sierra during fire restrictions? I was under the impression the only allowed stoves are canister stoves. I could be totally wrong though.
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sittingbull »

Having trouble with the link. What's the name of your channel on YouTube?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk