Emigrant Wilderness – way too noisy for me! (9/9 - 9/10)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Emigrant Wilderness – way too noisy for me! (9/9 - 9/10)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Earplugs are not "unhealthy". Use the disposables- one time use if you are really worried. I have used earplugs regularly for more than 30 years and never had any ear "health problems". If you had a spouse who snored loudly, you would soon get used to earplugs!

If military jets do not bother you but commercial ones do, then it is not the noise per se, but the psychological connotations of each. One brings pleasant memories; the other irritates due to its implications of civilization.

Each of us has our pet peeves with respect to "noise". Coming down the trail this morning I passed two fellows who were playing music. It was somewhat pleasant music, nevertheless, it irritated me because I really do not like my "trail peace" interrupted by a boom-box.

Just after 9/11, my workplace shut down for 3 days. I decided to loop from Levitt Meadows through Stubblefield Canyon (Emigrant Wilderness and northern Yosemite). Second day out I noticed that there were absolutely NO jets overhead. I slept in a bivy, so also noticed the lack of jets while watching the night sky. I thought it a bit strange, but did not think about it much. When I came home I found out about the temporary cessation of flights. I guess that was the only time I have been in the wilderness when absolutely no planes flew overhead.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emigrant Wilderness – way too noisy for me! (9/9 - 9/10)

Post by rlown »

Yes.. Me and my spouse both snore. My "unhealthy" comment was more about the ear canal being able to breathe. I use them when waterfowl hunting as a friend once shot past me (not wearing them at the time) and my left ear hearing is now, well, strange. Everyone sounds like Mickey Mouse now if i listen from the left.

I like the Military jets because they are somewhat few and far between and exciting to see when the come over a ridge. The commercial jets are an endless stream of noise during normal flight times.

Had a C-130 fly over my friend and I when hunting in Utah in the mid 80's. Right on the deck, from behind through a slot above the canyon. Very cool.