Which bear canisters are allowed in John Muir Wilderness?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Which bear canisters are allowed in John Muir Wilderness

Post by longri »

markskor wrote:They said the minimum span that a bear cannot exert enough force to crush a can. This could explain the 8 inch Scout not being listed as legal?
Maybe, maybe not. I was originally going to send an email to Wild Ideas and ask them but I talked to a couple of backcountry rangers instead. They're the ones who would be writing the tickets. The two I asked had never heard of the Scout model and said it would be fine.

I don't actually have a Scout. I thought about buying one but the weight savings was pretty small over the Weekender. And although it is a lower volume it's still 9" in diameter. The diameter is the main problem with carrying these rigid mini-barrels in a small pack.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have used a Scout since they came out, maybe 10 years? No one has ever questioned it.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

longri wrote:
markskor wrote:They said the minimum span that a bear cannot exert enough force to crush a can. This could explain the 8 inch Scout not being listed as legal?
Maybe, maybe not. I was originally going to send an email to Wild Ideas and ask them but I talked to a couple of backcountry rangers instead. They're the ones who would be writing the tickets. The two I asked had never heard of the Scout model and said it would be fine.

I don't actually have a Scout. I thought about buying one but the weight savings was pretty small over the Weekender. And although it is a lower volume it's still 9" in diameter. The diameter is the main problem with carrying these rigid mini-barrels in a small pack.
I did email Wild Ideas; here is their reply:
We build 82 Bearikade sizes. Every 1/8” from 8” to 18” tall. Challenge to include on short list. We sell Bearikade Scouts to Yosemite NP every season.

So I emailed YNP & SEKI. Got a reply from SEKI:
Good afternoon!

In short, the Bearikade Scout is not approved by the IGBC, which is the first step in getting it approved for use in the Parks. The long answer, from our Park Wildlife Biologist, is below, just in case you are interested. We appreciate your inquiry!

Bearikade Weekender MKII (1766 and higher) and Expedition MKII (1766 and higher) are the only two Wild Ideas products that are allowed for use in SEKI and YOSE at this time. The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) has not added the Wild Ideas Scout to its list of certified products (the currently allowed Wild Ideas models went through another process and were grandfathered in to the allowed list of containers). Being on the IGBC list is one of the requirements before we consider allowing a new container.

New containers are allowed, as follows:

1. Containers must be certified as “bear-resistant” by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) testing program according to their most current procedures for testing of commercially available containers.

2. Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite staff will periodically review “new” portable bear-resistant containers certified by the IGBC to see if the products are appropriate for use in the parks.

3. The parks will routinely monitor/evaluate the effectiveness of bear-resistant containers allowed for use in the parks.

The goal of our periodic reviews is to ensure that products certified by the IGBC are suitable for use in the parks. Suitable containers must be safe for use by visitors, effective in preventing black bears and other animals from accessing human food items, trash or scented products, be fully functional as a “stand-alone” device, and not present unacceptable impacts to the natural environment. Once we determine that a container’s performance is likely to be satisfactory, we will add the container’s commercial name and model information to the list of containers allowed for use by visitors in the parks.

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Analisa

Not very helpful on either side, thus my raising the question here.

Thanks to all for the info. Hoping to jump into the Bearikade waters this winter!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

freestone wrote:I have used a Scout since they came out, maybe 10 years? No one has ever questioned it.
Unfortunately that doesn't prove anything. I repeatedly broke a rule in YNP for years, unaware that it was even a rule since rangers never said anything to me. As far as bear canisters go, I've only been asked once to let a ranger see it. He was happy with a slim glimpse of it through the top of my pack. Every other time they've been satisfied with a "yes, I have one" and a rap of my knuckles on the side of my pack. I could have had a coconut shell in there.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

robow8 wrote:I did email Wild Ideas; here is their reply...

...So I emailed YNP & SEKI. Got a reply from SEKI...
Disappointing but not too surprising. The rules about where and what you can do in the wilderness are very poorly documented, at least as far as the general public is concerned. With respect to the Scout, I wouldn't worry about it. I think it falls very clearly on the side of the spirit of the law. If some cowboy of a ranger decided to write you up for having one I'll bet you could beat it in court.

Where and when and how you can use an Ursack, and which Ursack -- I gave up trying to figure that out. My main concerns are (1) avoiding a ticket and (2) keeping my food safe from animals, in that order.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

you can also have a special order bearikade. Mine is neither a scout or expedition. it's 12" tall. Sure that's not on the list. I doubt they really care as long as you have your food protected. A list would be nice. I've been checked twice in Yose. They didn't make me take it out. the same feel and rap on it approach.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I searched a different way late last night or this AM and found what I needed.
Funny, last time I was at Purple Lake, I had talked to a Backcountry Ranger who was working with some summer help. I left my old Ursack TKO with the aluminum insert, laying on the ground per FS regs, due to worry/issue of possible resource damage. I went for a hike to some of the other small lakes east of there to go Golden Trout fishing and when I got back, the same person asked me why I had not hung my bag. I had to explain about it not being a bear hang bag and per their regs, should not be tied to a tree. She got my email addy and I never heard anymore. Shows, they cannot ID most canisters I'm sure. I'm bringing my Bearicade for the trip and my MSR 9A stove. I've never had problems with ole man grizz or bears. I did see a black bear up north here Labor Day Weekend in the Loch Leven Lakes area on the Tahoe NF, off of I-80, close to Truckee. Plus, I did some good damage to my little Toyota truck a little over a year ago when I rear ended a black bear, a few miles out of the town I live close to. I'm asked if I killed him, I don't know, I didn't stop, it was 3:30AM.
Duane
Piece of cake.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I use my Ursack as a pillow. I haven't been in a "must have" area (Miter, Rae, Dusy & YNP) for a few years. I may do a trip next spring that spends the last night @ Rae, but I'll time it to be out of food after dinner. (Well, maybe put a few breakfast bars in the bear box.)