Emergency Whistles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Emergency Whistles

Post by gary c. »

I carry one plus there is one built into my Osprey pack (Osprey one not very loud). A couple years ago I bought a box of good steal wistles and attached them to retractible badge lanyards from work. I gave them to everyone that hikes with me on a regularly.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

One thing I was also thinking about with a whistle (both day and main pack have the sternum strap plastic), is that you can whistle S.O.S. if a SAR is not apparent. This, I'd assume, would grant some attention to anyone around that help is needed.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

A trip to the fireworks stand in early July would be roughly equivalent.
Either the bear banger or fire works as mention, would be illegal, and would increase the chances of even more wildfires in the Sierra, which is the last thing we need. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mav

Show me the regulations that coverbear bangers. Regs for seki are somewhat vague but think they would have a hard time prosecuting anyone for carrying a bear banger or even using one according to the directions.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You are correct Mike, the rules as written are quite vague. My main concern is that some folks may handle this as some toy, injure themselves, someone else, a bear, or start a wildfire, especially in drought conditions.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I carry a plastic whistle as a necklace. I also make a point to have some very bright colored clothing. It is amazing how much easier it is to find someone if they are wearing florescent hunter orange. A bright turquoise blue also works well. Another thing is that anything moving is easier to spot- perhaps have a bright orange kerchief and wave it tied to your trekking pole. A mirror is also useful.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Anytime I hike, I carry a whistle in the small right front pocket of my camera case and a compass with a signalling mirror in the small left pocket. I don't care about a few extra ounces. If I need to count every ounce than maybe I shouldn't be hiking and backpacking.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

LMBSGV wrote:I don't care about a few extra ounces. If I need to count every ounce than maybe I shouldn't be hiking and backpacking.
Maybe not. Maybe you should carry a PLB and a satellite phone too. Each of those weighs just a handful of ounces. Don't forget the snakebite kit. You never know. It doesn't weigh very much.

I'll bet John Muir didn't carry a whistle.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

oldranger wrote:Mav

Show me the regulations that coverbear bangers. Regs for seki are somewhat vague but think they would have a hard time prosecuting anyone for carrying a bear banger or even using one according to the directions.

Mike
Difficult to obtain in the U.S. I tried to find a source online and was unable. Canadian retailers will not ship to the U.S. Cannot ship through USPS mail, common carriers (UPS, FedEx) won't touch them. Considered explosives. If anyone finds a legal source post back here or PM me.

Ironic, isn't it? Canada sells bear bangers over the counter but does not allow handguns. The U.S. allows handguns but not bearbangers. :-k
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Maybe you should carry a PLB and a satellite phone too.
I always appreciate sarcastic responses. Actually, I do carry a satellite phone when I am solo backpacking. Since I am 64 years old with a medical condition, my wife likes me to have the phone.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com