Mt. Langley Backpack, Day 2

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mt. Langley Backpack, Day 2

Post by HikingGeek.com »

4 years in the making, I finally found myself on the summit of Mt. Langley.

Day 2 - Other than getting on wrong use trail around lake 4, the trip to the summit essentially went as planned.

After returning to camp, seemingly took forever! We discussed the difficulty of this hike vs. the Mt. Whitney Main Trail. We both seemed to think that this route up Langley is just as difficult due to the steepness of the last couple of miles to the summit.

Here's a link to the trip report and full gallery:
Mt. Langley Backpack, Day 2 – Cottonwood Lake #3 to Summit & Out, August 29 2015
...and some highlights. Clicking on a photo will bring you to the trip report/photos:

87TT
Topix Regular

Re: Mt. Langley Backpack, Day 2

Post by 87TT »

Did that one two years ago with my son. which way up the summit did you go? We found out after the fact that the easy way was to veer left and go around the west side.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Re: Mt. Langley Backpack, Day 2

Post by franklin411 »

87TT wrote:Did that one two years ago with my son. which way up the summit did you go? We found out after the fact that the easy way was to veer left and go around the west side.
I was there last week...I dunno if the giant cairns were built when you were there (6-8' tall, 3-4' wide), but they did help a lot. The only difficulty we had was making the connection from New Army Pass to the Langley Trail. I never will understand the Forest Service types. They had a flyer posted at the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead advertising the new trail via New Army Pass...but they didn't build a connection from NAP to the new trail? Seriously! :eek: