Summer Hike 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Summer Hike 2015

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I returned on Thursday the 3rd from what turned out to be my second shortest long hike. I had planned another two weeks but the smoke was still so bad I didn't see much point in continuing to climb peaks where I would see nothing. So in total it was 63 days and 17 peaks climbed.

Peaks: (in order)
Senger
Charybdis
McDuffie
Columbine
Norman Clyde
Temple Crag
Peak 11,290 (3rd Ascent)
Peak 11,738 (2nd Ascent)
Peak 11,988 (4th Ascent)
Peak 12,185 (3rd Ascent)
Red Point
Triple Divide
Lion Rock
Stewart
Eagle Scout
Lippincott
Eisen

I never posted on here while out because I never made a thread like I do most years so stuck with basic facebook posts.

First week of photos is up:

WEEK 1
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Summer Hike 2015

Post by WarrenFork »

Your shot of the crag looming over Gordon Lake is now my desktop image. And I've resolved to get up there myself. Looks like a gem of a spot.

Thanks for the photos and those to come. You never disappoint!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah Gordon Lake was a nice spot. Some maps show no trail to it while others do so I didn't know what to expect but turns out the trail is easy to follow almost to Gordon Lake. After that we didn't look anymore. Being day one on trail with 14 days worth of food we only made it to Gordon and said time to camp!

We are still trying to solve some mysteries on some of the unnamed peaks. Two of them had the typical film can left by Andy Smatko but inside was only a paper signed by Chris Libby. Where did Smatko's register go? We have the intent to contact Chris and see what he has to say. The peak we assume we had 4th ascent had a destroyed Smatko can and another left by Chris. Due to the fact that Secor seems to list the first ascent of the peak one year before Andy was climbing peaks there we assume 4th ascent. The 2nd ascent peak had the film can but had been knocked over and flooded with water. No dates could be made out on what clearly was the original papers. Only one page had been signed. We removed the register and replaced it with another at the hopes of recovering what is on the original. AlpineMike has access to places that may be able to recover the information.

Sometimes I feel frustrated by some of the history in the Sierra. So many unnamed peaks were first climbed and many only climbed once by Andy Smatko and his friends. Even in ascent records for Andy it does not list many of these unnamed peaks leaving the only history sitting on the peaks in an old film can. Once it's lost then it is forever.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

It was great running into you. We where blessed with no smoke on the HST after nine mile creek.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yep glad you all got mostly out of the smoke. It's too nice out there to not be able to see anything!

Week 2 is up.
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Great pictures once again! I like 'em all but those first shots from Lake Humphreys really start the week 2 album off with a bang. Thanks for posting.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

Amazing! What a beautiful trip. I'm going to book mark this page as a future resource. Thank you so much for sharing!
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;