South Sierra (Kennedy Meadows) Fall 2 Night Trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chrismis21
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

South Sierra (Kennedy Meadows) Fall 2 Night Trip?

Post by chrismis21 »

I'm looking to squeeze one last trip in this year. I've got a few days off in early-mid October (7-9) and was thinking about a 2-nighter in the South Sierra. We had been talking earlier this year about Thousand Island Lake, but now that's later in the year I'm thinking I will avoid the higher elevations which will most likely be quite a bit colder overnight by then, as I'm going with my wife and we're bringing our 9-month old via carrier. She's been up around 9,700 feet, but only during the day. With feedings and diaper changes and what-not, sub-freezing might be a bit uncomfortable ;)

I was looking at going further south in the Sierra and starting at Kennedy Meadows up the PCT, perhaps cutting over the Haiwee Pass Trail and back down via the Wildrose Trail. I can't find an abundance of information about the trails or area. I've heard some reports that the trails are in bad shape, and others that talk about heavy jeep and OHV use in the general area; both of which are pretty unappealing to me for the last backpacking trip before winter. Most that hike through there seem to use as a means to another end, though there must certainly be people that explore the area on its own as well. I figured I'd tap into this wealth of resources for some suggestions.

Does anyone have recommendations for the area; either these trails or others that may be worth exploring? On the Eastern side of the Sierra, we can go as far north as Mammoth and on the West side probably up to Yosemite. I have some x-country experience and am willing to do some on this trip. I would like to keep the trip class 1 since we'll have the baby and probably no more than 10 miles/day on this outing. No pets.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Sierra (Kennedy Meadows) Fall 2 Night Trip?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I don't have any info on the area since I haven't made it out that way but if you do end up taking the PCT North of Kennedy Meadows I could use a report on how many trees are down and where exactly.
chrismis21
Topix Novice

Post by chrismis21 »

If we head there, I will keep you posted, Rogue. I'm going to play the destination by ear depending on weather that week. Since it seems not many have spent much time there, it might be interesting to explore a bit and get some good notes. We'll see!
psykokid
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by psykokid »

If you have a high clearance vehicle you can make it up to Monache Meadows north of the Blackrock Ranger station as a good spot to base out of. From there you can hit the PCT or a few other trails in the area. If you don't have a high clearance vehicle you can drive up to the Blackrock trail head and hike in through Casa Vieja Meadows and head up to Jordan Hot springs via the trail that runs along Nine Mile Creek.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

As a side note, those dates will probably be the peak of the blazing fall colors, and on the east side you will need to go at least as far north as Big Pine or Bishop to take advantage.