Backpacking plans, 9/12-9/13 - Thousand Island Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Backpacking plans, 9/12-9/13 - Thousand Island Lake

Post by HikingGeek.com »

Assuming we don't get smoked out and have to pick a different trail, I am planning on hiking to Thousand Island Lake via Rush Creek this weekend.

I am looking for suggestions for side trips or maybe a peak to watch sunrise from Sunday morning. This entry is still a work in progress, but I wanted to get some input/suggestions as soon as possible. We are looking for nothing tougher than class 2. Currently looking at Banner Peak, but wondering if we'll have enough time for that one Sunday morning before packing out.

Thanks!

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/09/09/tr ... mber-2015/
squirrel
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking plans, 9/12-9/13 - Thousand Island Lake

Post by squirrel »

Hi, I'm planning a similar trip, though I'll be starting on 9/13 and plan on leaving from Agnew Meadows. In case this helps, here's what I've planned so far, with some notes of special points that I've researched with Secor's book, on these forums, and BPL: http://caltopo.com/m/2R5M

The passes and approach to Banner Peak are class 2 according to Secor. The sketchiest parts should be the north side of Whitebark Pass and getting to the Banner-Ritter saddle from Lake Catherine. If you are already planning on Banner, I suppose you've already been considering something similar.

Not sure if you have searched here and BackpackingLight.com already, but there are lots of threads with info about various off trail routes in Ansel Adams you can search for (or by just googling the names of some of the lakes)
rsm333
Topix Acquainted

Post by rsm333 »

You might have a bit less smoke going in by Rush Creek, but it's a tough climb...especially if you go up through Spooky Meadows. It's a much easier hike (and only a bit longer) to go from Agnew Meadow and use the High Trail. Catherine Lake is a nice day hike and you will have a nice sunset view from the pass between 1000 Island and Catherine.
squirrel
Topix Novice

Post by squirrel »

With regards to the smoke, the NOAA forecast suggests it should clear around Thousand Island Lake mostly by Saturday afternoon. I'd be interested if anyone has experience with such smoke forecasts in terms of how reliable this might be. Obviously it's no guarantee.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seanr »

HikingGeek, I think you will want some morning views from the shores of TIL looking toward Banner. Also, I'm not sure how much extra mileage, gain, and moderate to stiff class 2 terrain you are willing to attempt.

As mentioned, Lake Catherine would be a scenic place to explore if you have extra time and energy either Saturday or Sunday. Banner is reachable from there, but may be tougher and longer class 2 than you want. I have pics of North Glacier Pass, Lake Catherine, and the class 2 Banner from Lake Catherine route from exactly a year ago if you are interested.

Mt. Davis (http://www.summitpost.org/mount-davis/153527) might be a little easier than Banner, with views that would not disappoint, but would still be a substantial hike.

The ideas below (see the Caltopo posted by squirrel) are more visited, but tacking on a hike to Garnet Lake and/or Ediza Lake area might give you more easy to reach, yet stunning scenery. Of course visiting Ediza Lake-Iceberg Lake-Minarets-Volcanic Ridge area is a great trip in itself for another time.
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

hiking geek-first off I'm a big fan of your blog, great pics and beta..really enjoy it.
seanr wrote:Mt. Davis (http://www.summitpost.org/mount-davis/153527) might be a little easier than Banner, with views that would not disappoint, but would still be a substantial hike.
i agree with seanr. i ended up hitting Davis from 1000 Isl myself a few years back-after the glacier/snowfield approach to the Ritter/Banner saddle from Catherine kinda psyched me out :paranoid: and was really pleased i did. its an easy class 1 'walk' up, steep at first but tables off to a large flat long boulder field plateau and finishes off with a short scramble to the summit.

the views down to 1000 Isl, Garnet, back to the Davis Lakes and well beyond are amazing-as well as the views across that flat plateau towards Ritter and Banner themselves are really amazing-for the effort.
the climb up N Glacier Pass is fun too- even if you go no further you've captured some lovely views.

enjoy!
PS looking forward to a smoke report!! am looking to potentially head out to same area in October-when i'm sure the Rough Fire will still be blazin.
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikingGeek.com »

Thanks for the help everyone. I don't have time to respond to everyone's suggestions above right now ( I DO plan to), but wanted to drop a quick note.

We hiked in via the Gem Lake route and out via Spooky Meadow. In between we bagged Banner :retard:

loooooong day! TR coming later this week or early next week. In the meantime, here are some conditions for anyone headed to the Thousand Island Lakes area:

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/09/14/tr ... 2-13-2015/