TR: Lake Sabrina to Dingleberry Lake 8/22-8/24

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Lake Sabrina to Dingleberry Lake 8/22-8/24

Post by hikerdude87 »

Apologies for the late write-up. After getting back from my trip I have been busy with work and didn't have time to post up my trip.

Went on a weekend trip with three other friends, who have some backpacking experience, to the Sabrina Lakes basin. I haven't hiked in this area before so I did lots of reasearch (this site proved to be most helpful) to figure out some options. I really loved seeing the Moonlight Falls and the surrounding area so the original plan was to head to Moonlight Falls and camp around there. We ended up camping at Dingleberry Lake since the smoke was really bad and everyone was already tired from hike up from Lake Sabrina to Blue Lake. It ended up working out since it was a great location and the smoke was as bad as it was closer the other lakes. Early morning was mostly clear but you can see some of the haze but it gradually got worse as the day progressed. We met a couple people hiking back down the trail who had to cut their trip short becuase the smoke was unbearable.

Fishing was great, caught mostly brook trout and a variety of dry flies. They seem to be very hungry and willing to eat whatever is thrown at them.

Here are some photos from the trip.

Spending a night at Sabrina Campground to acclimate and study. Smoke was really bad that day

Smoke from the Rough Fire coming over the mountains. Looked really eerie

Picked up a donut from Bishop. This would fuel for my hike...(this would end up being a bad idea as the massive amounts of sugar gave me an upset stomach)

The slow climb up to Blue Lake

Looking back towards Lake Sabrina

When the trail starts to open up with better views

Gentle Sierra steps

The last switchbacks before reaching Blue Lake

Heading to Dingleberry Lake

Dingleberry Lake. By this time of the day the smoke was really bad and you could barely see any of the peaks. So we decided that we've had enough hiking and found a nice spot close to the lake.

The next morning the smoke had abated and views were much more impressive. Actually this was the best morning as the next morning was considerbly more smoky. Glad I woke up and got this shot.

Panoramic of the peaks. I believe Picture Peak is the one on the left

We decided to do a day hike to check out Monnlight Falls, Moonlight Lake, Hungry Packer Lake, and possible Midnight Lake. All these lakes were fairly close and it was a not too difficult day hike.

Topsy Turvy Lake

Not much water flowing from Moonlight Falls. I should have figured since it was already late in the season and there has not been much rainfall. Ill have to check this place out earlier in the year.

Sailor Lake

Moonlight Lake

By the time we got to Hungry Packer Lake the smoke got really bad. So we didn't spend too much time here and decided to skip Midnightlake because of the smoke.

During the evening the moon turned orange from the smoky air.
[img]hhttps://farm1.staticflickr.com/566/21043738808_fb129caaa0_b.jpg/img]

Final day, time to head back home.

Emerald Lakes

The hike back felt like it took longer than getting there. But my GPS said it took about the same amount of time hiking there and back. I guess when you look foward to the delcious sandwiches from Mahogany Smoked Meats that it feels like it is taking longer.

Overall it was a great trip and I will have to head back here earlier in the season. My friends had a good hike and I think I inspired them to start hiking and backpacking more.
Last edited by hikerdude87 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Lake Sabrina to Dingleberry Lake 8/22-8/24

Post by windknot »

It might just be me, but your images aren't showing up. :/

Thanks for the report though, and would love to see your pictures!
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikerdude87 »

windknot wrote:It might just be me, but your images aren't showing up. :/

Thanks for the report though, and would love to see your pictures!
Whoops sorry about that. Forgot to change the settings on my photos so that they are viewable to the public. It should work now.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

photos work now. Sabrina looks really low. and the smoke was just tolerable. yuk.

Great report though! Kudos for going and giving us something to read! :thumbsup:
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I can see them now, thanks! Looks like it was a great trip, smoke notwithstanding.