Stairs vs. Trails

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

If you tried to train by climbing real stairs you'd probably have the same problem. On the trail your'e not going up as steeply - each step is not as high, so it's easier on the knees. If you can control the size of the steps on the machine you use, that might be a good idea.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Not sure what trail you are talking about here but, no offense, last year I got real tired of doing "steps" on the JMT. I wished real hard I did the stair exercises my brother did as it wooped me out going up and down the Sierra "stairs".
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

We've resurrected an old subject thread!

I've already stated that I like running stairs... what I don't like are the eliptical machines. Now... I'll preface this with the statement that I've not used them for a couple years (because I didn't like them) but when I had tried them before, what I didn't like was the fact that the foot was "planted" on a platform and the upper legs did almost all the work. When you're walking/running/hiking you're articulating the foot.... using ALL the muscles in the leg. I just don't think you get as good a workout with the elipticals.

And I agree with Allyn - there's PLENTY of steps on the JMT.... like every pass.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Rosabella - I agree completely - the elliptical machines just don't provide as good a workout as stairs. Also, I think the stepmill machines are better than the step machines (stairmasters). The only problem with the stepmill and step machines is that people lean on the handrails, so they don't get the full benefit of the workout.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Some folks will have problems in there knees due to a strenght
inbalances between there quads and hams.
Also lack of ham flexability can cause problems in the long run.
Another thing to watch out for when using stairs is that your knee goes
past you toes, which places pressure on your patella, which may cause
pain in the long run for some people.
Thats one of the reasons people are told to make sure there knees
do not extend past there toes when doing squats or lunges for
example.
The most important thing is that your knee should be in line with
your second toe otherwise you place pressure on your acl and mcl
which no amount of muscle can protect you against.
Pay attention to you knee track when hiking especially when you get
tired you'll notice that your knee is moving out of the safe zone
much more frequently than when you were at the beginning of your
hike.
Try to consciously peak down at you knee every so often to rectify
any deviation of the optimum knee tract.