Requesting Your Help in the Matthew Greene Case

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Requesting Your Help in the Matthew Greene Case

Post by maverick »

Still waiting for confirmation from MLPD or Mono SAR, on whether they were La Sportiva Nepal Extremes, the model Matthew had on 7/17/13, but they sound like they are from a much earlier time, but until they are ruled out...
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Confirmed: They are not Matthews, unfortunately.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Thank you for the follow-up, Maverick.

Mike
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Wow, now there is the added mystery of to whom the boots did belong.
Eigenguy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Eigenguy »

rlown wrote:I certainly appreciate their find. Did they take the other boot back for DNA testing? 3 years would be a stretch, but..

I read through the Mono SAR reports. I wish they would follow up on those they rescued with the actual patient results.
I agree, but it's likely for privacy reasons.

I also wish they would indicate where some of the MMSA places in their reports are: Turkey Gulch, Visalia Bowl, Fresno Bowl, Froggy's corner, gun3, Sucker Bowl. They aren't on any map.

What is promising about finding these boots, even though they are not Matthew's, is that their discovery might give some more information as to what type of places for the occasional climbing search party to look.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Eigenguy wrote:rlown wrote:
I certainly appreciate their find. Did they take the other boot back for DNA testing? 3 years would be a stretch, but..

I read through the Mono SAR reports. I wish they would follow up on those they rescued with the actual patient results.

I agree, but it's likely for privacy reasons.
They don't name names in their current reports. A simple rescued/patient recovery status would suffice.

I would also like to see a report out on the possibly recovered boot. If boots could talk.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Is it established that he would likely take on major class 3 routes? Or higher? Did he have climbing gear? Has the more common peaks such as Clyde Minaret been checked? Considering the common routes such as the rock route on Clyde are climbed multiple times a year and nothing has been found I think about getting lost on it like I did. It was an easy mistake that landed me into class 5. A fall in that area would send you down on the NE face of the peak where people don't generally travel. Even the upper part of the Rock Route is very steep and crumbly. I had a hand and foot hold break on me at the same time. And general holds break a few times on that thing. So generally speaking my thoughts are on imagining where on common routes you could take a fall and where you would end up if you do.
Eigenguy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Eigenguy »

I hiked to Shadow Lake yesterday and it was one of the most beautiful hikes I've been on in this area. I continued to JMT and attempted the switchbacks to get to Rosalie, but I had to give up because after 30 minutes I was only making vertical progress. It seems to be believed that the route to Shadow Lake was the route that Matthew took to Ritter or Banner. Is there any way of knowing if he ever made it to the mountain range? Were scent dogs used on the trail?

The geology on this trail (and in this valley in general) is quite unusual IMO. There were some very exposed sections of trail that were covered in jagged and strangely shaped rock. I am curious if the bottom of this ridge/cliff area had been searched. The first section is about a mile from Agnew Meadows, and the other is the last 0.75 miles to Shadow Lake. I am sure there are others on the way from Shadow to Ediza.

Whoever is placing the Missing posters has really been on it. I saw posters on nearly every directional sign and on the bridge over Shadow Creek, and they all look new or relatively unharmed from the weather.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Probably this has been asked before, but I haven't found the answer in my (limited) searching. Is it well established that Matthew went to the Minarets? Could he possibly have gone to climb something else? If so, has Mt Morrison been searched? Are there other nearby climbs that might merit searching?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Probably this has been asked before, but I haven't found the answer in my (limited) searching. Is it well established that Matthew went to the Minarets? Could he possibly have gone to climb something else? If so, has Mt Morrison been searched? Are there other nearby climbs that might merit searching?
Hi Dave,

Well established, no not 100%, but compared to 2013 with the evidence that was available then, my answer would have been absolutely not.

After Matthews disappearance in 2013, there were numerous posters posted all around Mammoth and on the trails, in 2014 a couple came back to the Shady Rest Campground for their yearly visit, noticed the postings, and reported that they had talked to Matt the day before he went missing, invited him along on a hike for the next day, but reported that Matt said that he had planned on going to the Minarets.

Unfortunately the MLPD had a temp detective on the case, who did not take notes of the encounter with the couple, nor was anything entered into the official police report, and are requests (Matt's sister and myself) from the MLPD in this issue has gone unanswered, even though the incoming Chief of Police said the he would co-operate and assist us. :\