TR: Emigrant Wilderness 8/3 - 8/7

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Emigrant Wilderness 8/3 - 8/7

Post by BigMan »

I really enjoyed your report and beautiful photos. Thanks.

Now that you've been, do you find yourself comparing Emigrant to places that have more "dramatic" alpine scenery?

I ask because, while I very much look forward to visiting Emigrant and appreciating its qualities, I still crave (or feel compelled to choose) the more dramatic scenery of SEKI, JMW, and Yosemite. I'm looking forward to letting go of that craving.

Geoff
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

BigMan wrote:I really enjoyed your report and beautiful photos. Thanks.

Now that you've been, do you find yourself comparing Emigrant to places that have more "dramatic" alpine scenery?

I ask because, while I very much look forward to visiting Emigrant and appreciating its qualities, I still crave (or feel compelled to choose) the more dramatic scenery of SEKI, JMW, and Yosemite. I'm looking forward to letting go of that craving.

Geoff
Well, I think that the giant granite slabs around Hyatt/Big Lake are pretty dramatic. That area was as inspiring as almost any in the Sierra.

Outside of that, it doesn't quite compare, but it also provides an abundance of peaceful spots that one can have to themselves. It's definitely worth a visit, especially for people in Norcal.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

schmalz wrote:
Cross Country wrote:Eleanor Sanches, Wendy Weiss, Lee Starke and I did a trip to these Lakes and Huckelberry and Twin and others in 1972. There was good fishing for good size fish in Red Can and Hyatt Lakes. I would guess that neither one has fish now.
I saw some good sized fish in some of those lakes, although I don't remember all of the details now. We weren't fishing.

Next time we probably will be.
I was at Red Can a few weeks back. It appeared to be fishless. Fishing at Hyatt is still pretty good.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great composition to these shots! Looks like a really nice trip. Thanks for sharing!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Hey thanks a lot for the lovely photos and trip report! Great...

I usually do the bigger mountains further south in John Muir and Ansel Adams Wilderness but the never ending smoke this year is looking too risky. However I very much 'need' or like the isolation of deep wilderness (I generally go off-trail to remotest areas), but the trade off with some of the photos I have seen of smoke from the Rough Fire are pointing me at Emigrant Wilderness as a possible alternative for that - maybe a week or so from now (mid-September).
I talked to a really informative ranger by phone at Pinecrest (I live well north of San Fran) and he implied that even after Labour Day Emigrant can be pretty darn busy! He estimated about 3 dozen people a day would go out of Kennedy Meadow trailhead further up from where you went out of Crabtree. Wow! A lot for a small area.
Anyway, seeing as you went in "peak season" really (early August) did you see a lot of other people out there??? I realize you went off trail quite a lot, but even so, I'm not sure how 'big' the space is there to really lose oneself if needing to be at lakes for water. In northern parts of Kings Canyon etc., it is so HUGE out there, it's easy to get away from anything.

Any comments on that, or from anyone else who knows Emigrant appreciated. (And yes I did read that recent trip advice request about Advice for Trip to Emigrant Lake: Kennedy Meadows by pelican).

Thanks much... Michaelzim