Regarding some rare routes and regions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Regarding some rare routes and regions

Post by Cross Country »

I did a lot of difficult cross country with the unlkely pack in thei pic. Some old timers here probably know what make of pack this is. What is it?
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

Looks like an early Don Douglass Alpenlite to me.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Wandering Daisy wrote
The small basin of lakes on the bench above 60Lakes, beneath Mt Clarence King are very nice and offer a great day-hike (I camped up there) from the northern 60 Lakes. I did not see any fish up there but that does not mean there are none. You may want to consider this instead of going to Gardiner Lakes as an addition to your trip. Gardiner Lakes are fantastic and you would regret not having enough time to really enjoy and explore. 60 Lks Col is slow - the Gardiner side has a LOT of talus - not difficult but tedious; there really are no ways to do a "quick" trip into Gariner Basin.

One time I started in Kings Canyon at about 5PM and hiked up Bubbs Creek to Charlotte Creek where I camped for the night. The next morning I cross countried up Charoltte Creek (It's not a hard as you might imagine). I crossed Gardner Pass. I had a small chair with me. By 2PM I was sitting in my chair fishing a lake in Gardner (just above the big lake). The fish arn't very big in this lake but you can catch dinner in about an hour.