Emergency Whistles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emergency Whistles

Post by maverick »

I also carry a small Liberty Mountain aluminum whistle like this, attached to my light shell jacket as a zipper pull. The shell goes with me whenever I wander away from camp.
I was under the assumption that metal whistle are not safe in very cold conditions, and they can stick to you lips in freezing temperatures.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by WarrenFork »

If I'm wandering away from camp with only a light shell it won't be in subfreezing temperatures. The whistle on my pack is plastic.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

One is floating around the bottom of my pack someplace.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:
longri wrote:
rlown wrote:Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude.
I wonder if 125mg tablets of acetazolamide might have worked better. That's what I take when I'm having trouble sleeping at altitude and it works like a charm.

I made him go to the doctor and they prescribed Xanax. I found that 151 made him sleep better :) Still has my whistle though.
Just because a doctor prescribed an anti-anxiety medication doesn't mean it was the appropriate treatment. I was once prescribed a tranquilizer for what turned out to be esophageal reflux. The appropriate medication that I eventually got was cimeditine, a stomach acid inhibitor. The first doctor had me (wrongly) pegged as an anxiety case.

But if 151 worked for your friend it's unlikely that his problem would have been helped by acetazolamide. I wonder what his story was?
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:Longri wrote:
Would we have heard them screaming help instead? I
A whistle is much easier to blow than to yell, and the sound travels much further, even up to a mile away.
So I've been told. But I haven't seen the data so I'm skeptical.

That little orange whistle that came with my pack was pretty weak. I'll bet I could out yell it.
Randyhol
Topix Novice

Post by Randyhol »

My wife and I both carry Storm whistles as part of our emergency kit. Never hike anywhere, day or otherwise, without them. And carry earplugs. Almost made myself deaf the first time I tested the whistle, so figured the ear plugs would help if we were using the whistle for real. Orange version, dangles from head gear when we are out during hunting season, for a bit more visibility for hunters!! Otherwise always on our hip.
Randy Holliday
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hearing is different than seeing. If I were down, I'd crawl to the nastiest looking dying pine tree with the dead needles under it, and light it up. Of course this year, It might be hard to see with all the other smoke, but It's your best chance if you don't know if anyone is looking for you.

Then blow your whistle. And then pay your fine.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If I were down, I'd crawl to the nastiest looking dying pine tree with the dead needles under it, and light it up. Of course this year, It might be hard to see with all the other smoke, but It's your best chance if you don't know if anyone is looking for you.
So how do you crawl away from the new wildfire that you may have just started Russ?. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you know I'm never that far away from water, Mav.. :) and downhill and upwind.

So I've been googling around trying to find a whistle success story and I can't find one. Go.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

There is one built in to to the shoulder strap of my current (GoLite) pack. My previous Gregory didn't have one built in, so I cared one which I would describe as "police grade".