First Solo trip/North Lake South Lake Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
eoconnor101
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

First Solo trip/North Lake South Lake Loop

Post by eoconnor101 »

So I've been at it for a few years now, almost always with my wife as my companion. She's pretty small so the 3-4 night trips we do I end up carrying enough for 7-8 nights (tent, purifier, stove, all the food in the canister) so I figured it's time to push it a little deeper. We went over Piute pass into humphrey's basin and I was lured by the map showing the route through evolution valley and back up over bishop pass.

I've got my permit reserved for Sept 12th (a saturday). Any ways, would love any advice seasoned folks would have for me.

The plan: Camp at trailhead friday night, leave car there, bum a ride off a friendly hiker at south lake when I get out. 7 nights, possibly 8 and spend the night in bishop to 'acclimate' after.

Gear: Osprey 58/Western Mountaineering MegaLite(30F)/Exped synmat UL/Tarptent double rainbow/MSR pocket rocket/Katadyn pump filter/Bear vault 500/Salomon 4TX boots/black diamond poles/deet/knife/compass/waterproof matches/bagcover/toiletries/black diamond headlamp w spare batteries/cup/plate etc.

Clothes: Exficio 'convertible' pants, ultralight lululemon top, icebreakers 200 top and bottom, mountain hardware hooded flash, mt. hardware shell and marmot shell pants, beanie, gloves, extra pair of wool boxers, extra pair socks (light), hat and glasses

Toys: Fly rod/reel, fuji mirrorless camera with 18mm and 27mm prime lenses and filters, small joby gorilla pod/12 oz Rye bourbon

Food: 5 shrunken mountain house meals, 3 idahoan fully loaded, 3 packages pre cooked bacon, 2 small salami shell on, 2 hunks of hard aged (stinky) cheese, 4 small pouches tuna, crackers for hike in, a dozen flour tortillas, 12 cliff bars, 4 packs of jerky, dozen instant oatmeals, and for a treat, some prosciutto and dark chocolate (and hopefully some lovely trout and porcini mushrooms).

Itinerary:

Night 1 - just below golden trout lakes but where you can still see mt. humphreys alpenglow (perhaps desolation lakes alternate)
Night 2 - Aspen meadow (alternates are most welcome)
Night 3 - Colby meadow
Night 4 - Darwin Bench (kind of layover day) - exploring the bench
Night 5 - Sapphire Lake (or small lake before Wanda?)
Night 6 - Big Pete Meadow
Night 7 - Dusy Basin near lake 11393'

If there is an extra night 8 it might be in evolution valley or dusy basin if trout supplements my food and morale holds.

Any thoughts on pace/campsites layover spots etc. Does anyone know if you can see Mt. Humphreys from packsaddle lake? Enough food, waste of weight carrying spare underwear?

An alternative would be to go over lamarck col but solo i'm not sure I should do that, better to stay close to main trail on my first solo loop.

Rescue beacon necessary? I wouldn't think so on this one but....

I'll be doing a 4 nighter warm up with the wife starting this friday, hopefully mono pass to pioneer basin and back but it's a walk up permit on friday before labor day weekend so we may just take lake sabrina or whatever we can get.

Cheers,
Eric
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First Solo trip/North Lake South Lake Loop

Post by rlown »

eoconnor101 wrote:Does anyone know if you can see Mt. Humphreys from packsaddle lake?
Yes
Glacier Divide 2012 058.jpg
11 days away.. hopefully the smoke will clear a bit. I wouldn't bank on it at this point. Watch the fire reports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Eric,

Would recommend going into a holding pattern until you see what the conditions are like at the time of your trip, the Rough Fire is causing major smoke issues, which will impact your views, and your air quality. Here is a thread you can monitor for the conditions: http://www.highsierratopix.com/community
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

or this link.. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12301&start=60 Mav's intent anyway. we have a great history of the current fires this year..

And I completely agree with Mav. Not a healthy place to be right now in Humphreys basin ..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the correction Russ. :)
Rescue beacon necessary? I wouldn't think so on this one but....
The "but" is the reason you should take one, you should also consider using our form too: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10192
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Definitely use the Reconn form!

Also, follow the http://bishopweather.com/ webcam. It looks really bad on the Bishop side today, so i would think the other side of the ridge isn't the place to be.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

My group of 3 is planning on just dealing with the smoke this weekend, taking it easy when conditions are worst, and hoping for the best. Probably cut mileage down a bit from original plans and stay in one.

That being said, it looks like the winds are shaping up to make it, at least not 100% bad all the time.

Fires are a drag.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I wouldn't. go desolation or Yose. Lungs are precious.
eoconnor101
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by eoconnor101 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response. I really thought the rough fire would be more in control by now...so dry so little rain to help out. I am going to call an audible and go get a walk in permit for Mineral King and hike the loop through big 5 and little 5 lakes. I spoke to the ranger there on the phone and he says the big 5 fire is not causing air quality issues. I was on the Boreal plateau sunday above the rocky basin lakes and the wall of smoke was horrible to the north. I spoke to some hikers who came through Kearsarge and said the smoke was so bad they couldn't see the lakes below them, yikes.

On the positive side the mineral king area to the east was crystal clear except for the big five fire which looked very small from where we were.

I will carry a PLB and also post my planned itinerary. I always give my plans to my dad or brother though and contact them immediately when I hike out.

My plan now is probably 5 night 40 mile loop out of mineral king (to which i've never been) and hopefully get to see evolution valley next year.