Dry Mountain

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dry Mountain

Post by Snow Nymph »

It was a tOuGh hike, but we did it and I'm glad its over with! :D

I took Friday off because I knew it was a long drive to get to the trailhead. I found out about the desert forum's "2007 Spring Fling" at Panamint Springs Resort and stopped by, did a short 4WD trip to Lemoigne Canyon, then headed to the Racetrack Road to meet up with the others.

Spring Fling PHOTOS (Day 1 of 3): http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/2572083#135402852
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'm looking forward to the Dry Mountain pictures. I'm heading up there on the 24th to give it a try. How early did you start? How long did it take? Did you use one of the routes included in the DPS guide?

It was great that you found a group of people to do Dry with - it's so hard to find others that are interested in the tougher desert hikes (or maybe that's just a difficulty I have due to my sunny personality). :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

We started at 7am (13 hr 5 min), which incl 1 hr at the summit and a few refueling breaks. We cached water on the way up. It was warm in the sun, cold in the shade (snow patches, enough to add/cool water). We used the DPS route. This is a tough peak, so keeping the group small and at about the same hiking level was important for this hike. Hiking in the dark slowed us down. We all agreed . . . Glad we did it and glad its over with! :friends :friends

Temps were in the mid 60s driving from Lost Burro Mine to Hunter Mtn, but in the mid 70s driving thru Olancha and Palmdale on the way home.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the info - this one sounds like a good one to put off until next year when the temperatures are cool.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

truly a long day in the desert - my .02c worth

I wish I had brought more water - could have cached more for the trip back .there was some snow to scoop for water at higher elevations - but it was melting fast - I would not count on it for much longer.
there is a steep section of canyon at it narrows up to the ridgeline - chose your path well - some of this steep, loose and crumbly. I think we picked a better path on the downroute of this section - it slowed us going up. stick to a turn-around time as you do not want to be descending this section in the dark. other than that it's just a typical desert hike that's long.
Kathy I think you would have no trouble with this hike - but recommend not going with anyone who is not accustomed to this type of hiking. this is not a hike for the unconditioned. carrying a GPS helped for coming out in the dark.
well I'm glad I did it and don't have a desire to return anytime soon. the desert is warming up fast and the Sierras are calling.

pictures from Dry: http://members3.clubphoto.com/tom103807 ... uest.phtml
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Tom- Great shots- you captured the trip perfectly! I love the one of the rocky wash- really shows how ankle - breakery (that IS a word, no?) the rocks were. And that was on the easy part!
I agree that you should be really ready for this one, start early and bring alot of water and stamina!
Great day!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

thanks Sooz - somehow when I look at the photos it does not do justice to how tired I felt by the time I got back to the truck. beer never tasted so good - but whose idea was it to drive another hour to camp - pure torture - especially when you are the third vehicle back eating all the dust.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

tomcat_rc wrote:truly a long day in the desert - my .02c worth

well I'm glad I did it and don't have a desire to return anytime soon.
Same here (Dry Mtn). I think we did pretty good!

Great photos! Still working on mine. I just got back from Peter Crofts Slide Show about an hour ago, so my pics might have to wait til tomorrow night.

Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I think I'd rather swim into the Bermuda Triangle! :eek: Desolate yet strangely enticing.........if you're a borderline lunatic!!!! :D

Seriously, I think the Topix Mo'Fo's really outdid themselves on this one. I've never seen the monkeys as excited as they appear to be on this trip......particularly the one seated at the front in the summit pic!!!! :lol:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:lol:

Saturday, 10 March 2007
Dry Mountain from Racetrack Road

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/25 ... #135676223

I've been wanting to do this peak for awhile, but heard it was tough. Well, it is! 5,900' el gain in 12 miles. 3400' up, 700' down, 1500' up, and that's just to the turnaround! It took us 13 hour 5 minutes and the last two hours was in the dark so that slowed us down. Glad I can cross this one off the list! :D