Ansel Adams tripod location

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Ansel Adams tripod location

Post by freestone »

Any members know where Ansel set up for this picture of Clarence King?

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Ansel Adams tripod location

Post by SSSdave »

Not by some sort of known information. But a few minutes looking at the topo and GE narrows it to noname lake A or B or pond C. And I like the latter. In any case once at that area checking all 3 out would be a short stroll. These are waters I was supposed to have visited last summer but ended up spending 3 days near Bullfrog instead because of the foul weather. Have a lot of unfinished business west of KP.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_C ... les-0.html
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Thanks for your response David. Are you referencing a map showing the lakes and pond you mentioned? I was thinking there might be a group out there somewhere on the web that plotted his better known Sierra locations, but so far, nothing has come up on my Google searches.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Could be something else on the web but I would be surprised beyond piecemeal comments on specific well-known images Ansel captured. For a topographic map savvy photographer, figuring out approximate locations images were taken is often rather trivial when known peaks are in backgrounds with distant middle ground elements that then allows drawing a line to the source. If the rather small image posted was larger I could easily id which of the 3 bodies of water is the one.