Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne -- which trail/permit?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
donnymarcos
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne -- which trail/permit?

Post by donnymarcos »

Sorry if this is a noob question, but:

I'm looking to hike from Mammoth to Tuolumne sometime in the next few weeks, before the YARTS shuts down. My initial plan is to head out from Mammoth on a Wednesday or Thursday and catch the shuttle from Tuolumne on Sunday evening (as it only runs on weekends in Sept.)

Since each permit (High Trail, Shadow Lake, River Trail) seems pretty restrictive as to where you can and can't go, I'm curious what might be the best route for someone who's doing it for the first time.

I'll be hiking alone, so it looks like getting permits in advance will be possible if I decide soon.

I'm a strong, pretty experienced hiker who can cover a lot of mileage in a day. I'm hoping to see the big highlights of this particular trek since it's my first time. (My guess is that I'll come back later to explore certain areas more in-depth). Generally, I prefer to hike in more backcountry, isolated areas, but I realize that this particular route covers a pretty heavily-trafficked section of trail and I'm okay with that (would be nice to not have to camp on top of other people, though!).

Would love any advice/information anyone might have about this...it seems like one of those classic Sierra hikes and I'd like to check it out this year while the shuttle option is easy.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Agnew Meadows to Tuolumne -- which trail/permit?

Post by maverick »

Hi Donny,

Welcome to HST! No need to be sorry, we are happy to answer your question. :)
Would recommend going in via the Shadow Lake Trail and spending your first night at Ediza, then from there on, you have many locations to choose from, like 1000 Is Lake, Davis Lakes, Marie Lakes, and Lyell Canyon.
Use the search feature, and the web, to find TR's and photo's, so you can choose locations that appeal to your taste, and then go have fun. :)
Write us up a TR when you get back, please. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rsm333
Topix Acquainted

Post by rsm333 »

I agree on the Shadow Lake trail/Ediza Lake route, but consider making camp 2 around Island Pass instead of Thousand Camper Lake. The views are wonderful, there's water and once off the trail a bit, no people.
ciclista
Topix Novice

Post by ciclista »

Garnet Lake is as picturesque as Thousand Hiker, but the campsites are more spread out, especially towards the NW part of the lake. The campsites at Ediza were essentially full when we went there 2 weeks ago, but its beautiful. If you get there by early afternoon you should be able to find a good campsite.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The campsites at Ediza were essentially full when we went there 2 weeks ago
After Labor Day that will change. Garnet is pretty, but my personal preference is the far western end of the lake, near the smaller lake, back towards Whitebark Pass.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
donnymarcos
Topix Novice

Post by donnymarcos »

Cool, thanks all for the advice. Got myself a permit for mid-Sept, will have the better part of 5 days, which should hopefully make for a relaxed trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you area planning to visit Ediza between the 10th-15th, come by and say hi Donny, we will be basecamped south, right above the lake, east of the inlet creek, in a small clearing, we should be back from searching after 6pm each night. :)

donnymarcos
Topix Novice

Post by donnymarcos »

maverick wrote:If you area planning to visit Ediza between the 10th-15th, come by and say hi Donny, we will be basecamped south, right above the lake, east of the inlet creek, in a small clearing, we should be back from searching after 6pm each night. :)
Aww, too bad! I'll be heading in the 16th.