Camera Phones

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Camera Phones

Post by freestone »

Last trip I took the I-phone 6 and a Panasonic point and shoot. No matter what I use, I am a hack. The problem I have with both is ... no view finder to put my eye to. In bright sunlight and wearing sunglasses, the screen is very hard to see, so I blindly "point then shoot" more often than not. I would rather take just the smart phone, but because I now rely on it for it's multiple tools, battery life has become a big concern on longer trips, even in Airplane mode.

Has anyone tried the smart phone lens attachments yet?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

Im no photographer so i dont usually carry a real camera. My Galaxy S6 Active works well for outdoor shots and panoramas, and doubles as my gps (with backcountry navigator app). Its waterproof and has a larger battery than most, making it a great backpacking phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by joshuacourter »

Corbett Lake in the John Muir Wilderness (photo compressed to save space/upload time)

For a smartphone camera, I use my iPhone 6 with a Lifeproof case. I tend to take this we me on day hikes or an overnight trip. When comparing it to others travelers smartphones it seems to do a better job and last longer. Going on a trip that will last a few days or longer, I prefer my DSLR (Nikon D7000).
Last edited by ERIC on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed excessive links