Is this video irresposible?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Is this video irresposible?

Post by maverick »

Even though the title hints on it, but should there not have been some sort of disclaimer, maybe including the level of experience of the climbers would have been a good idea, a list of things that was done incorrectly, and what should have been done.
If the wrong person sees this video, it could turn out very badly.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... earchvideo
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Is this video irresposible?

Post by LightRanger »

Meh.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

meh. +1.

A video like this may actually point some idiots in the direction of better preparedness. But likely not. It is what it is. SAR folks are in my thoughts.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted

Post by Hillbasher »

These two seem to forget there are few others that are capable of climbing at the level they are currently at and most would find what they did as a lot more than the walk in the park it was to them. Irresponsible? Who is to say. A thoughtless post? Very well might be. I always have thought one should be a little better prepared for a climb than to just "check it out on the phone", as they get to the base. YMMV. :soapbox:
HulaHiker
Topix Newbie

Post by HulaHiker »

Hi there, constant lurker who has finally decided to chime in. I can't really speak for this video as a stand alone, but it's actually a clip from the larger feature SufferFest which was in the Banff Film Festival I think last year, followed up by SufferFest 2 in this year's Banff. The first one actually follows the guys as they start at Shasta and bike their way down to Langley, climbing the 14ers in between. Both films are actually quite fun, and in the context of the Banff Film Festival, I can't say any more irresponsible then anything else anyone else does in their films. These guys are professional climbers and can get away with climbs...and antics... many of us can't, that's what makes the full film so much fun. Do we really want to get to the point where we're so concerned about the lowest denominator of someone looking at a clip and going "I can do this too" (even though they have no business doing so) that we don't think any form of adventure film should be produced and released to the public without some bold letter disclaimer? If people don't want to take the time to properly prepare for any type of outing, whether a day hike up Little Lakes Valley or a climb of Middle Palisade, that's their problem and lack of accountability, not a Banff Film entry. But again, I don't know how I'd feel about the Nat Geo piece if I didn't have context of seeing the full film already.

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/the ... vie/275335
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

HulaHiker wrote:Hi there, constant lurker who has finally decided to chime in. I can't really speak for this video as a stand alone, but it's actually a clip from the larger feature SufferFest which was in the Banff Film Festival I think last year, followed up by SufferFest 2 in this year's Banff. The first one actually follows the guys as they start at Shasta and bike their way down to Langley, climbing the 14ers in between. Both films are actually quite fun, and in the context of the Banff Film Festival, I can't say any more irresponsible then anything else anyone else does in their films. These guys are professional climbers and can get away with climbs...and antics... many of us can't, that's what makes the full film so much fun. Do we really want to get to the point where we're so concerned about the lowest denominator of someone looking at a clip and going "I can do this too" (even though they have no business doing so) that we don't think any form of adventure film should be produced and released to the public without some bold letter disclaimer? If people don't want to take the time to properly prepare for any type of outing, whether a day hike up Little Lakes Valley or a climb of Middle Palisade, that's their problem and lack of accountability, not a Banff Film entry. But again, I don't know how I'd feel about the Nat Geo piece if I didn't have context of seeing the full film already.

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/the ... vie/275335
Thanks for that. Don't know how I missed that. Not as clued into the climbing scene as I was a few years back.

Agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST Hulahiker!
But again, I don't know how I'd feel about the Nat Geo piece if I didn't have context of seeing the full film already.
Well that does make a major difference, thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

HulaHiker wrote:Do we really want to get to the point where we're so concerned about the lowest denominator of someone looking at a clip and going "I can do this too" (even though they have no business doing so) that we don't think any form of adventure film should be produced and released to the public without some bold letter disclaimer?
Well put. I've always thought that Chris McNamara got it exactly right with the fine print at the bottom of the SuperTopo pages:

Climbing is dangerous. Climb at your own risk.

'Nuff said.