Bear Creek Diversion Dam

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ejayerik
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bear Creek Diversion Dam

Post by ejayerik »

I'll be going up to Twin Falls again and this time, later in the season in mid October (latest I've been is late Sep. to season close at Edison). With the condition of Edison and the drought, can anyone give me an update on the creek level? I'm guessing it will be pretty much fished out by the time I arrive. Not looking for anything to keep, just some fun in the trout department. Additionally, I am hoping this potential 'El Nino' winter won't hit too hard while I'm up there.

Anyone been up there recently or is going up in September that can keep me posted?

Thanks!

Erik
packing like I'm going to need to be rescued is a bad idea
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Creek Diversion Dam

Post by maverick »

Use the Dreamflow charts, find creeks listed in the vicinity of Bear Creek, compare this years levels with previous ones, and use that data to estimate the levels that can be expected for Bear creek.
http://www.dreamflows.com/flows.php?pag ... outh_Coast
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Bear Creek Diversion Dam

Post by ericZ »

I was up there July 19 for the day to fish. Surprising amount of water, i was expecting much lower, but then i had never visited the area around the diversion dam. how high would you go up the creek? my buddy and i only went up the creek 2 miles and turned back when rain, thunder and lightning appeared, and we decided food at mono hot springs sounded much better. my buddy went fishless and i caught just a few.

eric
fresno, ca.