Hammocking possible?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Twelve31
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hammocking possible?

Post by Twelve31 »

Specifically, I would like to ask someone who has camped in the following areas.

Vidette Meadow,
East Lake,
Lake Reflection
Charlotte Lake
Vidette Canyon (lower)

Is it safe to bring a hammock to camp in these areas or would a tent be more practical?

thanks in advance...
Occasional Participant in Reality
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hammocking possible?

Post by maverick »

Vidette Meadow,
East Lake,
Lake Reflection
Charlotte Lake
Vidette Canyon (lower)
Yes at all of those location, trees skirt the lakes, and though I do not hammock, don't see a problem of you finding the necessary trees in either locations.
What do you mean by safe?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Twelve31
Topix Novice

Post by Twelve31 »

Thanks Maverick!
By "safe" I meant leave the tent at home and only bring a hammock :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sure, as long as you know what you are doing, we have some members who use them.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5764&p=38771&hilit=hammock#p37825
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Long straps and adjustable suspension (my whoopie slings were special ordered longer than standard) are better for the Sierra. When the only tree for miles is foxtail pines, good luck with the 6' straps....

What you'll encounter tho is a rift between you and any tent dwellers with you. You need good sturdy trees which are not so common at that elevation, not the springy wind-stunted pines that, even if they are 6-8" in diameter, will plant your butt on the ground. But some of us like having a bed a quarter of a mile from the snoring friends in tents.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Some friends require in excess of a quarter mile, me included :D
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Twelve31
Topix Novice

Post by Twelve31 »

Thanks for that info. That was a concern as well as I will have 2 friends that are definitely tent camping. As much as I love my hammock I think maybe the tent might be a more practical choice for this trip. Plus we may want to bed down one night above the tree line. I'm from the southeast and trees are not an issue to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

AlmostThere wrote:Long straps and adjustable suspension (my whoopie slings were special ordered longer than standard) are better for the Sierra. When the only tree for miles is foxtail pines, good luck with the 6' straps....

What you'll encounter tho is a rift between you and any tent dwellers with you. You need good sturdy trees which are not so common at that elevation, not the springy wind-stunted pines that, even if they are 6-8" in diameter, will plant your butt on the ground. But some of us like having a bed a quarter of a mile from the snoring friends in tents.
Have we hiked together?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

East and Reflection have lots of stout whitebark pines near the lakes, but having them hammock-friendly distance apart will present the usual limited choices.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

MountainMinstrel wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Long straps and adjustable suspension (my whoopie slings were special ordered longer than standard) are better for the Sierra. When the only tree for miles is foxtail pines, good luck with the 6' straps....

Have we hiked together?
It's entirely possible. I have been in quite a few meetup groups, and sometimes, my group ends up "adopting" friendly people on the trail who need help navigating...

It's also been true that my group can be up to 100 - 400 feet apart at night, because the snorers are trying to be polite. :rolleyes: