Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
iopolo
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by iopolo »

Hello,

My name is Isabelle, I live in Alameda, in front of San Francisco - I am 42.
My passion is backcountry skiing around the Carson Pass but we also like to hike in the summer with my partner- now that our kids are old enough we want to go hiking next week, with our dog -

I was born in France, my english is not perfect even if I leaved here for more than 10 years

I wanted to go to little lake valley but the permit situation got me nervous so now I am thinking Saddlebag Lake and the 20 lakes basin - if you have inputs on other nice routes with easy terrain ( 2 kids 8 and 9 and a giant dog ) I would like your ideas.
Thank you
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Isabella,

Welcome to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
foxylocks
Topix Newbie

Post by foxylocks »

Jean here
..recently married on by Arrowhead lake on the Rae Lakes loop
found this website via a friend who emailed me in a string of emails re a trip they are planning the url to the trip link led me here..
of course I had to join
goal: PCT when independently wealthy
love: Sequoia and Kings Canyon
Live in the Redwoods of La Honda
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jean,

Welcome to HST! Drive through your neck of the woods occasionally, when heading out to the coast, and want to avoid the traffic on 92. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sierrawild
Topix Newbie

Post by sierrawild »

Thanks for inviting me to introduce myself. I've been an avid backpacker since I discovered the sport at 16. I've been honing my skills ever since. I originally joined the Boy Scouts just to go camping. I had no interest in anything else-although tying knots proved helpful. After my short stint with the BSA I joined in on church group backpacks-my first week-longer-never looking back. Actually I look back all the time usually for bears or Cougars. I particularly enjoy backpacking with just one partner-but that's usually out of necessity not necessarily choice. I've also found solo backpacking to be not only a thrill but a joy. The downside being some safety concerns and sharing that joy we all get from venturing into wilderness. I've been a zero impact backpacker from the beginning. I really appreciate highsierratopix. What a great job you all do. I hope I can help out as time goes by. Thanks to everyone who contributes-especially the moderators and founders. Great resource!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sierrawild,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself, looking forward to your contributions, it takes all members to make HST great!

stormdude
Topix Newbie

Post by stormdude »

Hello everyone,

I've been using this forum for many years to research our backpacking trips. Figured it's about time to introduce myself and begin posting trip reports.

I took up backpacking (again) in 2002 (in my forties at the time), thanks to lasik on my eyes and new lightweight gear. My base weight went from 45 pounds with the old Kelty in the early 1980s to around 22 pounds, and suddenly week-long trips to the High Sierra became much more fun.

Started with the Rae Lakes Loop during a heat wave in October and have taken about two trips per summer since then. My photo journals for past trips are posted on my web site:
http://www.stormdude.com/hab/backpacking.html

Wouldn't be surprised if I've seen some of the people from this community in the Sierras over the years, or perhaps during training hikes to Mt. Baldy or Crystal Cove State Park.

Many thanks to the founders and administrators of this board.
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikerdude87 »

Hello!

I recently stumbled across this website while researching potential backpacking spots in the Sierra. A lot of my experience with backpacking and the outdoors comes from my time in boy scouts. I stopped backpacking because I stopped scouting and I found other hobbies to occupy my time.

Recently I started backpacking again because I realized how beautiful the backcountry can be and I found it nice to be away from my busy life. Plus the other hobby I picked up was fishing and fishing in the backcountry is probably my main drive to go backpacking.

Hopefully I will get in a couple trips to the Sierras now that the busy tourist season is winding down.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Stormdude and Hikerdude87,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the intro's, looking forward to reading you TR"s and contributions in the future. :)

hobomoto
Topix Novice

Post by hobomoto »

Hi gang,

I discovered HST when researching info for the High Sierra Trail earlier this season. HST has been a great source of information thus far and I've really enjoyed learning from all the great information that has been posted up over the years!

The time has now come to the point where I have a question that can't be answered via the search function so its time to stop lurking and introduce myself!

Information that may be nice to know about me... 32 yrs old, male from San Diego, CA. Lots of camping and travel experience but new to backpacking, especially in the High Sierra. Interested in expanding my knowledge and pushing my limits more offtrail and up peaks to class 3!

Thanks!

Dominic