Courtright or Wishon Reservoir for Blackcap Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Courtright or Wishon Reservoir for Blackcap Basin?

Post by michaelzim »

I have read up on a number of posts here on the Blackcap Basin area and the lakes between Blackcap Mountain and Hutton to the north. I'm thinking of going to the area in late August - early September and was trying to figure out which starting point would be best between the two reservoirs...Courtright or Wishon. I have to drive 9 hours nonstop to get there from where I live, so am ready to smack out and find a quiet camp spot close by for the first night. I have been out of Lake Thomas Edison tons of times, and the sandy shoreline way up above the waterline (past years anyhow and this year for sure!) is ideal, as is isolated and comfortable after just a half hour hike from the parking area at Vermillion, heading east.

I'm a level 4 hiker/backpacker (but older than I used to be!). Usually get off the trails once at basic destination. Like quiet beautiful lakes. Base camp from there and do long day hikes in all directions, etc.
Used to backpack up north more in Kaiser, Yosemite, etc. but the darn jetways (jets flying in and out of SFO making a ridiculous amount of noise every few minutes) bugged me so much moved further south to quieter skies.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Zimichael
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Courtright or Wishon Reservoir for Blackcap Basin?

Post by SSSdave »

amichaelzim >>>"...and was trying to figure out which starting point would be best between the two reservoirs...Courtright or Wishon."

Best for what purpose? The fastest route just via trails? Or the route with least vertical climbing? Route with the most exercise? Route hiking along an easy trail and not a tricky or difficult offtrail route? Most scenic route? The route with the best fishing along the way? Route starting from an easy to drive to trailhead?

Some of those questions could be sized up with some topographic map work. Are you able to measure approximate trail or route mileage on map? Are you able to calculate from topo vertical lines the approximate vertical up and down on routes?

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_C ... eshow.html
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

If BCB was my primary goal then Wishon, if my trip also included parts of Red Mountain, then CR would be my choice.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I'd start at Wishon. But then you need to decide whether you go Woodchuck creek or Rancheria.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

But keep an eye on the Rough Fire (http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4456/), which is still spreading (albeit mostly heading west and south at the moment).
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Both approaches are similar--almost a whole day of hiking through forest. I find Maxon TH to be a little more pleasant and scenic overall, and it starts at a higher elevation than most of the Wishon trailheads.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I thought I heard the Wishon trailhead is closed due to the fire.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I like to start from the Maxson TH but go XC toward the the North Fork Kings River and follow it to the trail at the junction of Fleming Creek, then all trail to BCB.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
Sierra NF
Forest Order No. 15-15-08
Rough Fire Closure
Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.50(a) and (b), and to provide for public safety,the following acts are prohibited within the Sierra National Forest. This Order is effective from August 14,2015, until the Rough Fire is declared out.

1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the Rough Fire Closure Area. The boundary of the Rough Fire Closure Area begins at the Crown Valley Trailhead at the southeast intersection of Forest Road No. I1S07 and Forest Trail No. 28E42, then continues east along the southern edge of Forest Trail No. 28E42 to its intersection with Forest Trail No. 29E30, then continues along the southern edge of Forest Trail No. 29E30 to its intersection with the Kings Canyon National Park boundary, then continues south along the Sierra National Forest and Kings Canyon National Park boundary to its intersection with the southern edge of the Little Tehipite Valley and the Middle Fork of the Kings River, then continues down-stream on the northern edge of the Middle Fork of the Kings River to its intersection with Fox Canyon, then continues due north up Fox Canyon to its intersection with Wiesman Spring and Forest Road No. 11S07, then continues north along the western edge of Forest Road No. I1S07 to its intersection with the northern edge of Rancheria Creek, then continues due east across Forest Road No. 11S07 to its intersection with the eastern edge of Forest Road No. I1S07, then continues north along the eastern edge of Forest Road No. 1S07 back to the starting point.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Hey everyone, thanks for the great replies and so quickly too! Appreciate it.

SSSdave...Ummm, excellent questions and I indeed could have phrased my question better, but did not want to make it too long.
In answer, sort of "all of those/these things" would be relevant...And some of them have been covered in the replies.
Best for what purpose? The fastest route just via trails? Or the route with least vertical climbing? Route with the most exercise? Route hiking along an easy trail and not a tricky or difficult offtrail route? Most scenic route? The route with the best fishing along the way? Route starting from an easy to drive to trailhead?
.....(Mmmm, not sure if this quote thing worked???)

Overall I am not concerned with fastest route, or vertical climb straight out the box, or fishing (don't fish), or most exercise (will get plenty for my 65 year old body)...so the main two of yours would be: Most scenic route, and route starting from an easy to drive to trailhead...Though that 'first night long drive collapse' thing plays into the latter. So some place to find a quiet spot (like I do at Edison) is relevant. (And was wondering about that weird noise reported out of Wishon - some big hum in the ground every 30 seconds all night???). The pics I have seen of these two reservoirs don't look like the sandy beaches high above waterline like at Edison. Steeper and big rocks, but hard to tell from a few random posted photos on Google Maps.

And yes, topos showed what look like long hikes through trees for a good day getting most of the way in...Not my favorite thing as prefer views and timberline, and also fire danger of getting stuck in a forest zone if a new fire were to start up...Like where to run to!?

Not intending to go to Red Mountain area.

Yeah, am watching the "Rough Fire" info. and smoke maps. Hopefully it will be out and no new ones by time want to go.

...And if I had another new question to add, it would which lake to head for as a 'end point base camp' in the upper Blackcap Basin? I have checked out what I can online and a number look like could be good. I prefer some timber morning sun but afternoon shade), and close to inlet or outlet creek or the lake for water easy access. And a nice view of course with few or no rowdy 'neighbours'.

THANKS VERY MUCH EVERYONE... Zimichael