Camp Shoes - Yes or No?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Camp Shoes - Yes or No?

Post by rayfound »

Crocs
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Yes.
I prefer a walmart-sourced kroc knockoff that looks like Keens and I use them for deep water, fishing, late night, morning in camp etc.... Well worth the 9 oz for a pair of 13s.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Everybody is different.

For me camp means relaxing with my feet in my sleeping bag. I have already collected enough water to last us until mid-morning. The food is cooking right outside the tent or in the vestibule. If I have to pee I either walk a few yards in my socks or slip on my untied shoes for a minute. On really wet trips I slip plastic bags into my sodden boots to keep my camp socks dry when I need to step outside the tent. Camp shoes wouldn't work in those places and wouldn't get used in the Sierra.

The exception is on ski tours where I sometimes take down booties.

I sure hope it snows this winter.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

No camp shoes in the past with my trail runners (Altra Olympus and New Balance Minimus Trail). Recently made the switch to LUNA Sandals so I'm debating whether to bring socks or down booties for camp.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

After reading many of the posts lauding trail runners and talking to some of my hiking buds at work I bought some Saucony Xodus 5 trail runners and complemented them with Injinji toe socks. After several long mileage days on the trail on a few different trips I'm sold (at least for summer hiking). The shoes are light, comfortable and very supportive (I put in some Superfeet insoles like I do with all my shoes). I always liked my Merrell Moabs, but these Saucony's are nicer.