What are the top causes of death in national parks?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

What are the top causes of death in national parks?

Post by rlown »

920x920.jpg
Last week, two teenagers camping at Yosemite were tragically crushed when a tree fell on their tent — which, as it turns out, is not a very common way to die at a national park.
Deaths are a fact of life in the national park system. However, despite a rash of misfortune this month that included a man being fatally mauled by a grizzly bear at Yellowstone and a French couple dying of heat exhaustion at White Sands National Monument, statistics show the nation’s 408 national park sites are relatively safe spots.
“It’s probably more dangerous to go out on the highway in California or try to cross the street in some places,” said parks spokeswoman Linda Friar.
About 150 people die each year in a national park, according to the latest federal data, tracked between 2007 and 2013 — a relatively small number considering the parks see nearly 300 million visitors annually.
The biggest causes of death, according to the federal figures, are drownings and vehicle accidents — things that kill people outside of parks, too.
Source: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/W ... 449157.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Re: What are the top causes of death in national parks?

Post by BrianF »

Stupidity is undoubtedly number one, I'd like to see the bar graph of that
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Drowning and falling have always been the leading causes of death in the backcountry.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Stupidity = Other
What is Non-Vehicle transport? Being thrown from your mule?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

"other" is a huge undefined category! May include lightning strikes. or UFO abductions :paranoid: :D

non-vehicle may also include bicycle and pedestrian-car accidents, and yes equestrian accidents.

This is a national database- includes some heavily used more urban eastern parks too.

It does not surprise me that drowning is top. We have had six recent drownings in the American River here in Sacramento just in the last few months. Even after lots of media attention, people still regularly drown. May be politically incorrect, but many are immigrants from warmer climates (such as India) who do not understand that it can be 100 degrees air temperature and the water still very cold. And drunk young men of all ethnic backgrounds. I think alcohol is a big factor in drowning. There really needs to be more water-safety education.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

maverick wrote:Drowning and falling have always been the leading causes of death in the backcountry.
Taking the raw data for this graph, which is solely for National Parks, I would imagine that most of these occur in the "frontcountry," the parts of the parks with easy access. Though not true for everyone, the typical backpacker knows much more about risk and survival than the average urbanite who believes roughing it means a week in a Class A motorhome in Yosemite Valley or at Yellowstone Lake. Greenhorns who stop the car at scenic overlooks are more likely to fall off a cliff than a backpacker hiking a trail that has exposure.

I agree with WD on the drownings. I'd wager more people drown in Yosemite Valley, or somewhere lower on the Merced than in the backcountry.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

And note that these statistic are only once you get INTO the parks. We've always said that the most dangerous part of any backpacking trip is the drive to the trailhead....grin
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Of the Falls accidents am wondering what percent of that bar in the last few years has been while taking mug shots and selfies at cliff edges?

David

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2015_Trip_C ... eshow.html
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Almot funny stuff but dieing isn´t funny.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

I've actually seen few backcountry deaths I'd attribute to stupidity. It's a pretty mixed bag but maybe falls with trauma are the leading cause. For sure drownings are way up on the list but many (most) of those are in the frontcountry. An actual analysis of fatalities indicates that if you're a male between the ages of 18 and 23 and drunk, you shouldn't hang out at the river. That might qualify as stupid but you don't see that much in the backcountry.

But, anyway, for the Sierra in the backcountry, it's often just really bad luck.

George