Minaret - Cecile - Iceberg Route Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Minaret - Cecile - Iceberg Route Question

Post by schmalz »

Hey HST,

In typical fashion, I'm considering altering my plans for my september trip and doing a shorter but route near the Minarets. I have never hiked near Minaret/Cecile Lake, but I have hiked part of the boulder field between Iceberg and Cecile.

I'll have my dog with me so I'm a bit concerned about this part of the route I am considering. Specifically, I remember reading that there is a brief class 3 section between Cecile and Minaret? I'm not worried about the boulder field, but I am worried about hitting one small insurmountable obstacle that I can't surmount with my dog, such as a small 10 foot class 3 section. Is it doable? Do I need to seek a specific alternate route?

Also, which is better for camping? Cecile or Minaret? Thanks.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Minaret - Cecile - Iceberg Route Question

Post by oleander »

Brian,

I have been from Minaret to Cecile Lake twice. I took two somewhat different routes and both times, completely avoided any Class 3, without a lot of difficulty.

The Class 3 section, I believe, the one in Secor/Roper, is kind of a more western route, that follows more closely a major stream/canyon that flows into Minaret Lake from the north/northwest.

By starting up more from the east, you can kind of just climb up and over a hill/hump and end up at Cecile Lake pretty easily.

I took someone up there who hadn't even done Class 2 before, and she was fine.

Maybe someone who's been there more recently can remember where exactly to start up. But you'll figure it out anyway. Just wander up where it doesn't look too bad. This may be *considerably* east of the Secor creek. Somewhere around the NE corner of Minaret Lake. It looked to me like there could be 3-5 various routes.

For the dog, my concern would be that the metamorphic rock of the Ritter Range would be harder on his paws than the usual granite destinations.

- Elizabeth
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

oleander wrote:Brian,

I have been from Minaret to Cecile Lake twice. I took two somewhat different routes and both times, completely avoided any Class 3, without a lot of difficulty.

The Class 3 section, I believe, the one in Secor/Roper, is kind of a more western route, that follows more closely a major stream/canyon that flows into Minaret Lake from the north/northwest.

By starting up more from the east, you can kind of just climb up and over a hill/hump and end up at Cecile Lake pretty easily.

I took someone up there who hadn't even done Class 2 before, and she was fine.

Maybe someone who's been there more recently can remember where exactly to start up. But you'll figure it out anyway. Just wander up where it doesn't look too bad. This may be *considerably* east of the Secor creek. Somewhere around the NE corner of Minaret Lake. It looked to me like there could be 3-5 various routes.

For the dog, my concern would be that the metamorphic rock of the Ritter Range would be harder on his paws than the usual granite destinations.

- Elizabeth
Thanks Liz. There is a lot of good info in there and it's good to know there are various options. Sounds totally doable.

I also appreciate your sentiment regarding my dog's pads. It's always a concern. We just did a series of days offtrail in Emigrant and she seemed to be choosing where she put her feet more cautiously at the end of it. One of the advantages of the area is that each offtrail section ends at a trail that we could hike out of, so there isn't much risk in getting caught in the backcountry with no easy way out as there is with some other routes (like the one we did in Emigrant).

I did have Callie hike halfway up the boulder field between Iceberg and Cecile, and then hike back down with me, so she has basically covered that stretch before without any issue. Hopefully we'll be fine. We'd also be tackling Nancy Pass, Nydiver, and possibly the offtrail between Nydiver and Garnett.
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sierra Miguel »

schmalz wrote: I remember reading that there is a brief class 3 section between Cecile and Minaret? I'm not worried about the boulder field, but I am worried about hitting one small insurmountable obstacle that I can't surmount with my dog, such as a small 10 foot class 3 section. Is it doable? Do I need to seek a specific alternate route?
I've mentioned that previously, with a possible alternate. The Roper route isn't possible with a dog.
which is better for camping? Cecile or Minaret?
I prefer the west shore of Minaret. I think there's more room down there, too.
I did have Callie hike halfway up the boulder field between Iceberg and Cecile
The second half is steeper.
We'd also be tackling Nancy Pass
Little bit of bushwhack on the middle of the south side.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would not be concerned about your dog on any one of those off-trail sections, but put it all together and I know my dog would have very sore paws (but my dog is a bit of a "princess"). It may depend on how much off-trail you intend to do each day. The metamorphic rock up there is pretty sharp and the black rock can get really hot- may be just as much a problem with burning paws as being rough. And you have almost all rock to get around Cecile Lake. If you dog is OK with booties, I would put them on him at least part of the day just as a preventative measure.

The "non-Secor" route is quite easy. As you near the south end of Cecile Lake, go over the saddle (an old burned area here) that drops slightly toward a pond (not sure if that pond still would have water now, but you will see it obviously is or was a pond). Circle right of the pond for a short distance, turn sharply right and go through a small "pass". At this "pass" you will see a well-used trail that steeply descends and joins the better trail about half way between the "Secor pass" and Minaret Lake.

The south side of Nancy Pass has a lot of scree. I may have missed the best route, but I thought it was quite difficult and rocky. I recall a good piece on the internet that describes the best route. Google "nancy pass" and you may find this article.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I would not be concerned about your dog on any one of those off-trail sections, but put it all together and I know my dog would have very sore paws (but my dog is a bit of a "princess"). It may depend on how much off-trail you intend to do each day. The metamorphic rock up there is pretty sharp and the black rock can get really hot- may be just as much a problem with burning paws as being rough.
Yeah, I have similar concerns. Part of the appeal of the route is that after each off-trail section, we have have access to a trail that will lead us back to the car in only a few miles. So, I'll be monitoring her paws and we'll make adjustments as needed. By the time we get to Iceberg Lake she might be done.
Heyworth
Topix Novice

Post by Heyworth »

I'll have my dog with me so I'm a bit concerned about this part of the route I am considering. Specifically, I remember reading that there is a brief class 3 section between Cecile and Minaret? I'm not worried about the boulder field, but I am worried about hitting one small insurmountable obstacle that I can't surmount with my dog, such as a small 10 foot class 3 section.
Not ten feet. More like six or so.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You should be okay Schmalz, just take your time in finding a route most acceptable for Callie, there are a few, just stay away from the middle route which is class 3 in the the middle section. Camping at Minaret Lakes is much better, and the morning sunrise views are outstanding, Cecile has some small, less attractive campsites on the southeastern end, right near the area you climb up from the Minaret Lakes area, near the Cecile shoreline.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

If I thought I might have to sacrifice part of this off-trail route, I'd consider skipping Nancy Pass altogether. Not a big bang for the buck, imo. Just my 2 cents. Have fun.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'd consider skipping Nancy Pass altogether
The views from the top of Nancy is great looking back towards Iron Mountain and Ashley Lake.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org