Bear Attacks | High Sierra Topix  

Bear Attacks

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Bear Attacks

Postby jessegooddog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 am

7 people attacked by bears in other states over the weekend, including a sleeping camper in Colorado. I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow? When was the last time a hiker in the sierra was injured by a bear for no apparent reason? I don't recall reading anything in decades.

jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Attacks

Postby Vaca Russ » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:16 am

I think this happened last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X7xqZaTuk

-Russ
” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby artrock23 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 am

jessegooddog wrote: I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow?

The benign California climate and being well-fed play a large role, quite likely. ;)
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Postby jessegooddog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:29 am

I watched the video - the bear was after a cooler outside the tent, the guy went out to defend the cooler...bear ended up getting shot. Idiots.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Postby The Other Tom » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:53 am

Black bears are generally non aggressive to humans. Just don't get between them and their young or their food. We have black bears all around us here in the Applachians, and seldom hear of human attacks.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby maverick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 am

HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby SSSdave » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:30 pm

As a twentysomething, there were probably a lot more dangerous black bears here in California than now. Authorities killed lots of human habituated to food bears decades ago and then began executing repeat problem bears after some managed to return to problem areas after being dumped elsewhere miles away. I can certainly recall some I met in northeastern Yosemite back in those days that were aggressive and mean.

I will speculate most remaining California black bears have been habituated to the dangers of humans and sows teach their cubs. There are still some remote forested areas here in California where humans rarely visit and any bear in such areas ought to be considered potentially more dangerous. Especially up in the Trinity and Salmon River wilderness areas. In more remote Canada areas where some black bears are more likely to have never had human encounters, serious attacks have always been more common.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby caddis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:51 pm

jessegooddog wrote:I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow?
The illegal, large scale marijuana groves? :pancho
caddis
Founding Member

Postby k9mark » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:04 pm

caddis wrote:
jessegooddog wrote:I wonder what makes our high sierra bears so comparatively mellow?
The illegal, large scale marijuana groves? :pancho

They're more dangerous than the bears...
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
k9mark
Topix Regular

Postby hurricaniac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 pm

In SE Alaska, the black bears are just as feared as grizzlies because they will actually eat you, whereas a grizzly will sometimes let you off with just a good mauling.

Sierra black bears are like wary, over-sized pu$$y cats.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Postby RichardCullip » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 pm

This isn't really related to black bear attacks but the last couple of days had me wondering about the difference in behavior of black bears in northern California and southern Oregon. We car camped in both Mill Creek Campground, just south of Crescent City, CA, and Humbug Mountain State Park in Oregon, just 80 or so miles north. In the California campground we had to put all our food and smelly stuff in the provided bear box and we had dire warnings from the rangers about the danger of non-compliance. Now, just 80 miles to the north and the very next night, we were told that we didn't have to take any precautions with our food. Even the trash cans were not bear proof. It was very interesting to see the difference in bear precautions taken in the two state run campgrounds.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Postby ERIC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:54 am

There are a number of subspecies of American Black Bear. My wife is from Vancouver Island, and that subspecies is known to be much more aggressive towards humans than the mainland Olympic Black Bear. From what I am told the Van Island BB's are quite a bit larger, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_black_bear
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Next

Return to The Campfire