Sleeping in the Woods

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sleeping in the Woods

Post by balzaccom »

Head up slope.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Vaca Russ wrote:
Do you prefer your head up the slope, or down slope?
Up slope, unless one enjoys having all their blood rushing into their head giving them
a nasty headache. Would be very surprised if anyone preferred down slope.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

up slope or level is a given. i'm told i snore like a banshee. Markskor moved his tent at Muriel last year just because.

My Neoair gives me just the adjustment that makes me want to sleep, but it's really not about the pad.. it's about the person. I sleep in 3 hr periods. I don't know why, but i wake up and then it's trying to figure out how to get back to sleep. Same at home.

I think the stress factor mentioned was a good one. It's how do you release the baggage. By the 6th day in the back country, I do sleep well.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
i'm told i snore like a banshee.

A little Russ. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I sleep really well in and out of the backcountry. I am a side/stomach sleeper as well, but dont have a problem with a regular pad. I am a pretty heavy sleeper, but I do wake up to pee most every night. No matter how cold, I don't get dressed or even put on shoes to go outside. Sorry if that is too much information :nod: I have no shame.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I sleep better at home for the most part. But I recently bought a much better air mattress and am sleeping better in the woods than ever before. Im a side sleeper a lot of the time so I need some good cushion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Re:

Post by Rockchucker »

sheperd80 wrote:I sleep better at home for the most part. But I recently bought a much better air mattress and am sleeping better in the woods than ever before. Im a side sleeper a lot of the time so I need some good cushion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The first night is always an adjustment but subsequent nights I sleep as well as I do at home, for the most part. After a week I start getting maybe better sleep than at home. Weird really.
I'm no suture for my future.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

mv >>>How many of you get better sleep in the woods than back in the world?

Not a lot of difference but generally sleeping at home is more regular whereas sleeping in the field has more opportunity for poor sleeping given the large amount of variations. For instance I do not sleep well with loud sounds at home or in the field. For instance a windy night in a forest, next to loud water cascades, or animal sounds. I always have several sets of ear plugs.

Does the pressure of work, daily stresses keep you awake a lot of nights?

Been a long time since I've had stress at work. But there are other stresses in life like loss of loved ones that indeed can effect one's sleep regardless of where one is.

Do you sleep longer or just get a better quality of sleep in the woods?

No difference.

mv >>>Do any of you not sleep well in the backcountry because of the elevation or the intense hiking during the day?

No. A modest workout during the day given a fit body will indeed tend to result in better sleep but an intensely strenuous day that breaks down muscel and tissue can result in a very poor night of restless sleep.

Does it get better the longer your out?

The first night out often results in poor sleep for many but I have been summer backpacking often for decades and such has not been a factor for a long time.

mv >>>Has age changed your sleeping times while out backpacking?

No, I generally go to sleep at home within an hour of the same time every night so my body chemistry becomes sleepy then. In the field will usually sleep a bit earlier between 9pm and 10pm, waken at early dawn, and rise before sunrise. I love early morning which is the best time for a photographer.
------------

We always sleep in individual tents. I'm a light sleeper with a monitoring brain quick to awaken from strange noises. I never snore and others snoring within earshot are particularly disruptive. So on group trips always sleep a good distance from anyone who might. Whether at home or in the field I awaken several times a night. I more often sleep on either side than my back and if so am never flat on my back. Each time I waken, I rotate. We almost always jump into water each day especially trail days or after strenuous day hiking, most often afternoons so tend to get into our down sleeping bags feeling nicely clean. I do not like trying to sleep while feeling grubby, sticky, itchy, or smelly.

I suspect many people have trouble sleeping due to chronic use of medicine or drugs. As an adult I have never been a caffein, alcohol, nicotine user except on infrequent special occasionals and rarely take medicine even aspirin thus my system tends to be very naturalized. Most people dream only during a minor part of their sleep particularly during REM sleep. I am very unusual in that I have always dreamed almost every sleeping moment. Indeed I am always dreaming asleep so always awaken from a dream.
Last edited by SSSdave on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I sleep better in the hammock than at home or on the ground.

I sleep equally well on an air mattress (NeoAir or Q Core) or at home.

I snore... sometimes, not all the time. Or so I'm told. I can sleep through other people snoring, wind, rain, etc.

I can drink a cup of coffee before bed and sleep well.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Compared to most of those I hike with, I actually sleep quite well in the back country. That said, the answer your original question is no, I dont sleep better in the mountains compared to home. I sleep like a rock at home and if I ever wake during the night its non typical. In the mountains, I still sleep pretty good, but I tend to wake up a few times each night as I roll around alot and end up off of my pad. I wake for the time needed to rearrange my pad, then back to slumber land.

Now naps are a different story. I have become quite adept at napping almost anywhere, backcountry or the front lands ;) . Seems I get better at it as the years roll by =D> . To answer Vacas query, I look for the most level spot I can find , which doesnt typically present itself. Typically, I select a spot with a very slight downhill drop with my feet lower than my head. I also like spots that have a small trough or indent so I stay in one place, but one must make sure such sites have good drainage if it rains.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead