Conway Summit Webcam

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Conway Summit Webcam

Post by jessegooddog »

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist9/cctv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New (to me, anyway) webcam at Conway Summit, on the same page as the Caltrans Mammoth 395/203 junction cams.

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this info, the sierra nevada cam page no longer allows comments and it is not listed separately.
kd6swa
Topix Acquainted

Re: Conway Summit Webcam

Post by kd6swa »

We need more up and down 395!

KD6SWA
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I generally look at that webcam when the storms roll through. also the crowley lake cam at the fish camp.

Note that the cameras at the DOT site are remote controlled as well and they move them from time to time as if to pan around. The conway summit cams on that page are equipped with barometers. They will show "low pressure" during storms moving through sometimes.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It would be nice to get a few webcams put into the backcountry. Somewhere that has already been disturbed like the radio repeater sites. I think it would also be cool to have some along the major rivers so we can watch the change in water levels.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It would be nice to have backcountry cams as you state. Problem is, lightning seems to take them out quickly, and you need a mechanism to relay the signal.

Look at the Tioga webcam. It's been down since 2009. Not so much a cam issue right now, but a connectivity issue to relay the pics. The strike that took out Tioga took out the CDEC station at the same time. I think Yose just hates the idea that it's gate is being watched. :retard: I know they said they moved to satellite comms, but cannot prove or deny that statment. Still, seems like an easy thing for their IT staff to provide to climate research. I did recommend they use the same uplink technology from CDEC to "fix" the upload/relay issue. Nothing. ](*,)
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Does anyone know how far you can drive up the road to Virginia Lakes right now? Do they usually gate it?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

your comment has nothing to do with webcams. Split it off and post it separately, probably in the backpacking forum.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

rlown wrote:your comment has nothing to do with webcams. Split it off and post it separately, probably in the backpacking forum.
It does have something to do with Conway Summit; so I don't see the problem posting it here. I'm not sure how to read your comment, but I am hopeful that you are just trying to be helpful by suggesting I will get a better response if I post it elsewhere. If that is the case, thanks.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Hi Kathy-

I don't know of any gate on that road, none that I recall seeing, or can see from Google maps satellite view. I'm aware that many of the cabins back in that area are privately owned and some folks use them year-round. The wife and I stayed in a friend's cabin there many years ago in early May, in a heavy snow year, yet we were able to drive in all the way to the cabin (but 4WD did help).

From the view on the CalTrans cam at Conway, it certainly doesn't look like much accumulation at all. Still, I would suggest you might call someone in the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce or perhaps Mono County tourism to be sure. Good luck!

--F.G. Dave
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

KathyW wrote:Does anyone know how far you can drive up the road to Virginia Lakes right now? Do they usually gate it?

Hi Kathy - sorry I don't know about the road conditions, but the north end of the webcam below shows distant view of Dunderberg too.

Let us know how it goes if you get up there (looks to be an interesting trip).

http://www.gbuapcd.org/monolake/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;