I am hurt and don't know where I am---but will you come help

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

I am hurt and don't know where I am---but will you come help

Post by balzaccom »

Yosemite National Park (CA)
Injured Hiker Extricated From Top Of Lower Yosemite Fall

On the afternoon of Saturday, April 27th, the park communication center received a transfer call from an injured hiker from the California Highway Patrol. Fernando Celis reported that he was at the base of a waterfall in between some boulders and that he was badly injured and couldn’t walk. Celis couldn’t identify his location, say how he’d become injured, or advise the location of the group he was with. Rangers were dispatched to the bases of Lower Yosemite, Bridalveil, Nevada and Cascade Falls to search for Celis and other rangers were placed on standby to search other park waterfalls if necessary. Rangers found Celis’ hiking group within about an hour and learned that they’d hiked the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail and that Celis had become separated from the group along the trail between the bottom of Upper Yosemite Fall and top of Lower Yosemite Fall. Hasty teams were sent up the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail and to Sunnyside Bench (on the opposite side of the river) to search for Celis. A helicopter was ordered as a search platform and for a possible hoist mission. California Highway Patrol helicopter H-20 from Auburn, California, arrived around 5 p.m. and began an air reconnaissance of the area. The crew spotted Celis on a ledge near the top of Lower Yosemite Fall after about an hour and successively inserted rangers Aaron Smith and David Pope by hoist to the ledge. The rangers packaged Celis in a KED and Stokes litter. He was hoisted from the ledge, transferred to a medical helicopter at Ahwahnee Meadow, and flown to Doctor's Medical Center in Modesto. H-20 then hoisted the rangers from the ledge. Yosemite Valley District Ranger Jack Hoeflich served as the incident commander.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I am hurt and don't know where I am---but will you come help

Post by Scouter9 »

Job well done.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Hats off to SAR! *Help I've fallen and I can't get up* That's the norm and the truth; God bless 'em both!! :soapbox:
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I was in Yosemite a couple weeks ago and was spent most of the day on sunnyside bench. Got a good view of the way in and out of the bottom of the upper falls from the trail. It didn't look easy :confused:
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Interesting. I hadn't heard that one. If his phone was GPS capable, he could either have sent a Google Map location or gone through two (beta) servers that capture the GPS coordinates and display on a map the SAR team can checked. That technique has been successfully used in the UK and a team in Virginia has set one up, though it's still in the testing phase.

With cell phones everywhere, this is becoming an increasing problem that responders have to figure out a more organized and tech-oriented workflow.

g.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Hm. I have had similar stories working at 911...but I don't work for a park and we have no topo maps. Reading this made me realize I should get my center a set of topos cuz we have had cells we GPSed and still couldn't figure out where they were really except somewhere in "the green section" of the map.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i'm surprised that a 911 center doesn't have a system with online maps to snap to a gps coordinate. heck, even i do. I think that's how they found the Boston bombers in the stolen car with the cell, and tower triangulation.