Games

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Games

Post by rlown »

Um, it depends on who goes.. This was a friendly game of Pai Gow at about 10pm and below freezing.
HPIM0460.JPG
Lately as the group has dwindled, it's now cribbage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

When solo, I carry a 6x9 notebook and sometimes a paperback book. The notebook is my journal and I use for ruminating about anything and everything when I am in a campsite. When I’m not taking photos, it is the other way I spend my time (along with gazing at the view).

On trips with my wife, I carry the notebook and sometimes a paperback. She also carries a notebook and a paperback (she’s a writer by profession). We also bring along a deck of cards and a cribbage board. We got the cribbage board at a local white elephant sale in the 1980s. It’s plastic and a deck of cards fits inside when it’s folded closed. It’s about 6 inches by 3 inches and weighs 4 ounces with a deck of cards. We’ve taken it on every trip, car camping or backpacking and even overseas, since we bought it. For over 30 years, it’s been a late afternoon ritual to indulge in libations and play cards while gazing at whatever view is before us.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

Like many other troops mentioned above, no electronics were allowed on our trips. We did allow the boys to play cards, which provides a good social interaction and sharpens mental skills. On some trips the gambling taught some valuable life lessons, as some boys lost the quarters they needed to open their bear canisters :D Us adults were none too quick to bail out the losers unless the evening's meal was locked up in there as well.

I only had to teach my son one lesson. Keep the green and play with the coins. He made a fair amount of money on that trip.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

We have played dominos (small travel kind) but not lately. But we always play Yahtzee. We play it in the Ti fry pan. In the tent or outside. Five dice and a score pad.