Sierra Water

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Water

Post by SierraMaclure »

I drink from just about anything that's not standing and gross and I don't treat it unless I'm in a cow pasture like in the Emigrant. I have never been sick. I prefer springs and snow melt. I like the spring on the Cathedral Lakes trail and always take a ceremonious drink out of the one on the JMT near Happy Isles. I provide treatment options for clients but like having nothing between me and my communion cup full of Sierra water.
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

My favorite is ice cold water from a little trickling stream coming out from under a permanent snowfield at something like 13000 feet.

Least favorite would be some popular lake on a hot, still afternoon in the middle of the summer.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

In the "olden days" people used to go and stay near Springs and Spas to "take the water" in Europe, as a medicinal treatment... The rushing pure water of Sierra streams, creeks and clear rivers feels alive and pure and is magnificent to soak self in and to drink. Some lakes last year (low snow year) late season had slimy algae green stuff, but running water seemed to be fine. We use steripen as it does not affect the taste.