The cost of being rescued

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The cost of being rescued

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:hmm. I carry nothing except for the wilderness permit and the sharpie writeup in the bottom of my canister. They're gonna treat you regardless and it'll take months anyway for the insurance to work out the bill. Assuming they find you. The info would be in the truck at the trailhead or at home with the wife.

the most important thing to have in your immediate possession is any allergies to meds.
It would probably be nice to have your id with you, in case you are found in an extremely hypothermic state, so we know it's you - if you're the one we're looking for, we'll know we can stop looking. If not, well, hopefully your panicked family were able to give us a good recent picture or something.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not taking my ID.. name is on the permit. name is in the can. name is on the pack frame. that should be enough. Wife has clear instructions not to call until 3 days after I don't call on exit. Did that once in Trinity, but I called her after two days.

But, back to the cost topic. They will charge you and it does take months for the insurance and medical groups to work out the bill.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

That all depends on how you enter into the treatment. I could be wrong but you only have to be treated if you are brought in through the ER. If you come in normally you can be rejected.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ

I assume you also carry your fishing license--that is a form of ID.

While I used to limit my bc info to drivers license, credit card, fishing license and a little bit of cash, I now also carry medicare card and other insurance plus list of drugs and other medical info. Doesn't weigh much and on the off chance I get medivaced I will have all the resources needed to avoid mistreatment and to support myself if released in an unexpected location without having to stress out my wife any more than the situation warrants. I will also probably start carrying a check as there are a few remote places that do not take credit cards. (I actually stayed at Muir trail Ranch once where they accepted my good word and I later sent them a check to cover the cost of my visit. But I don't count on that kind of trust.)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

Mike's right. I always carry both driver's license and credit card. You never know where you're going to end up. We've taken people out, naked in their sleeping bags in true emergency grab 'n go. I've always imagined these guys being released from the hospital in their drafty gown, holding their sleeping bag and trying to hitch a ride home... .

NPS (Yosemite and Sequoa Kings anyway) have park medics -- close to the paramedic level -- who routinely go on all medevacs. There's no charge. I've actually never heard of medical assistance as a charge when volunteer county sheriff teams are involved unless a medi-flight helicopter responds. They're private and will charge, though insurance can cover it.

AlmostThere: How does that work? Who are the advanced medical responders sent to create that cost? And what county? -- thanks.

The usual sequence in Sequoia Kings is person is picked up in backcountry. If it's medically necessary (and it often is) they're transferred to the park ambulance at the heliport then taken to meet a private ambulance for a transfer. Then off to Fresno or Visalia. On the east side, it's direct to private ambulance and then Northern Inyo in Bishop. Once transferred to either NPS or private ambulance, that's billed but not before -- not the park helicopter, not the medical assistance or involved personnel. On very rare occasions, when someone is in violation and doing something incredibly -- incredibly -- stupid, there's an attempt to charge. Pretty rare.

If CHP helicopter responds, I'm pretty sure they don't charge nor does Navy at LeMoor or Fallon. CHP flies pretty heavy though and isn't ideal at altitudes over 8,000 or so.

Finally, I keep seeing quotes like this:
Recent advancements in outdoor equipment, navigational devices and off-road vehicles are allowing greater access to remote areas by more people with fewer outdoors and survival skills, complicating rescue missions, Gingery said.
Maybe that's happening, but I sure don't see it. That is, an increase in rescues or searches as a result of inexperience or reliance on tech. It happens, but I don't think there's a dramatic increase.

g.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'm hoping there isn't a charge for the CHP helo evacuation, I heard 35K somewhere (probably a response on FB). I think there might be a big charge for the morphine given on helo. I know my deductible will be met by ER & Surgery charges. I found out I paid the extra $7.95 for Rescue Insurance thru my SPOT service, so that might cover some or part of the morphine or if there is a helo charge (CHP came in, YOSAR had the Aspen fire to deal with). I left condo key in my truck which was at the trailhead til some friends picked it up. Luckily HOA mgr was able to let me in. I always carry medical insurance card, CADL and credit card with me. Didn't think about meds/supplements list but I'll add that to first aid since I take a lot of vitamins/supplements. A little relief after reading this thread. Thanks!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;