Boy Scouts of America

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Boy Scouts of America

Post by mokelumnekid »

Thanks Scouter9 for that info and perspective. We live in a time when the "old" somewhat monolithic cultural assumptions are no longer at play. And this spins up in many ways.
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi All,

I've been absent on this site for awhile. I'm the new Scoutmaster for my son's Troop, (We just joined two years ago, left another BSA troop). Otherwise, the troop we joined would have disappeared, gone. It was down to maybe 4-5 scouts coming to the meetings. My troop has been around for over fifty years and so far we got five scouts last year and three so far this year. It's looking good for our troop, next year my 10 year old Webeloe will join and some of his friends. The thing with my troop is finding another adult just to camp. Backpacking trips is even harder to find. I have more mother's (god bless them) that will go car camping with us than the dads.

I'm a backpacking nut, just love it, but I've planned and canceled a few trips due to not having another adult. I canceled a trip next weekend, due to not having another adult. Just in the last few months were all car camping trips, such as a private beach or ranch in Santa Barbara, Mt. Pinos snow camping (8400ft and very cold) and we did a 17mile canoe paddle down the Colorado River a few weeks ago.

I tell the Scouts and parents that these trips we go on, there is now way they will do it themselves and have some kind of outdoor experience, plus the kids may earn a merit badge. My thing is the mountain where I maybe of some help.

I don't want to get in the political stuff with BSA, I watch my scouts, no scout should be alone with an adult without another person present. It's crazy stuff the BSA is going through.

Don
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

I was part of a scout troop in a small rural town next to the foothills of Tulare County. The troop was sponsored by the local Presbyterian Church and the scoutmaster was its pastor. He was an extraordinary man and more than twenty eagle scouts came out of this small troop. We were an outdoors troop and went on many hikes. Every summer, the scoutmaster took the troop in long trip that usually started in Mineral King, ended at roads end near Cedar Grove, and included a side trip to Mt Whitney. A report for two of the trips can be found at the link below. The scout troop became coed sometime around 1970. I guess the girls just camped and hiked. I don't think they went through the ranks. Clearly, the scoutmaster saw that scouting needed to evolve. It's a shame that changes in scouting have become so painful and protracted.

Even in the 50's and 60's when I was in scouts, I knew of parents who refused to let their boys join a troop because they suspected troop leaders might be pedophiles. One of my cousins was an example and he was really disappointed that he missed out on the scouting experience. By the way, all three of his sons became eagle scouts.

http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

I became an Eagle when I was 16 (Troop 111, Stanton, CA). I wasn't involved in Scouts after that because it was right around the time that we moved from Orange County to Colfax and I was too active in sports to be bothered to find a new troop. I credit Scouting, and my dad, with a lifelong love of outdoor recreation. I had a ton of good times on Scout trips--including with fireworks and water balloon launchers, but I disgress. ;)

All that being said, I will not allow my future children to participate in a discriminatory organization like the current BSA. I feel super strongly about this and I've almost mailed my Eagle award back to the BSA over it.

Here's hoping the delegates do the right thing in their vote on Thursday. Unfortunately, even if they vote in favor of allowing openly gay Scouts, they'll still only be halfway there.

I feel for this guy:
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I think the matter actually goes to vote on the 24th. I saw news this morning suggesting it was today, but I think that's just the opening of the meeting(?).

Either way, if you haven't been following the news, there was an interesting development last last month: the local Council for Salt Lake City and the LDS church both came out in support of the proposed revision. Yes, this appears to be precisely opposite to the stance taken in the past and it doesn't mean the local stake committee agree (one near us voted 17-1 against the proposed revision), and it's particularly significant if you understand the percentage of units, and therefore voting power in BSA, that the LDS controls.

I don't recall if I pointed this out above, but the BSA also forbids actively heterosexual youth. You see, whether the fellas lust for Sam or Samantha, they're not supposed to act on it while Scouts. There is currently no policy for Metrosexualism.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I now see more news, suggesting the votes are today.

I also thought it might be useful for folks to get to read the BSA President's position on the proposed revision, published as an op-ed:

"...Scouting is a youth program, and any (...) sexual conduct, heterosexual or homosexual, is contrary to the virtues of Scouting... We are unaware of any major religious chartered organization that believes a youth member simply stating he or she is attracted to the same sex, but not engaging in sexual activity, should make him or her unwelcome in their congregation..."

FULL TEXT: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... s/2351907/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

So, if you haven't read or seen the news, the BSA approved the proposed policy revision.

Here's reportage by NBC News: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05 ... youth?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The revision becomes effective, January 1, 2014.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I got my Eagle when I was 17 and I'll be damned if I will send it back regardless of their policy. I laugh at all those who do. You knew the rules when you were in and agreed to abide by it. So the game has changed. Do you really think mailing your Eagle back will make one bit of difference? If you do then you live in a fantasy world. My biggest concern having been a Scoutmaster is not so much gay boys being in but those who are not. Boys can be some of the cruelest people at that age. I can only imagine some of the comments forth coming about having to share a tent all night long with one who is gay. If you think that this isn't real go back to your fantasy world.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.