Backpacking Greener

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking Greener

Post by dave54 »

I have not made a campfire in years, but is that any 'greener' than burning fossil fuel in a metal stove?

A quality made article of poly clothing with good care will last 20 years. So that footprint may be less than driving a Prius to the trailhead several times per year. The mere act of hiking on a trail impacts soil, watersheds, wildlife, etc. So backpacking itself is not a 'green' activity. Three miles of hiking trail built to current standards is the same as a one acre clearcut (actually, more erosive, since forest practices laws require more erosion control and soil stabilization than trail construction standards).

BTW a human footprint from a typically equipped hiker puts more pressure per square inch on the soil than a D9 tractor. And one study several years ago in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, showed human feces and the corresponding bacteria still identifiable and active after 18 months of proper disposal. Another study in Colorado showed detectable petroleum traces in Wilderness streams from accidental fuel spillage from backpacker stoves. Wildlife behavior impacts are well established in popular wilderness destinations.

I do not hike to be 'green' (I hate that term anyway. It's meaningless and condescending.) I hike because I enjoy it, and I know I am making an impact. I am selfish in that I am willing to make a small and mostly transient impact for my own pleasure.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

I'm probably hypocritical myself since I buy products from patagonia and REI, but recycling a few water bottles while you purposely move manufacturing to some third world country so that you can take advantage of horrible labor practices and poor environmental regulations doesn't make you green. That's just good PR.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

I have a green tent :D
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Mark: :thumbsup:

Humans are a natural part of the earth. We and everything we are has evolved from the physical and spiritual parameters of the planet and the universe. Is it even possible to transcend our connection with mother earth?

I look out upon the universe and see everything in its place, why are we any different? There is plenty of chaos and destruction out there. What if we are meant to pollute, exploit, and war? In the universe destruction brings about change. Who is to say what is good and bad?

Think about how preventing forest fires is bad in the long run, and compare that idea with human civilization on mother earth. Who is to say?