Nita Mayo - Missing 3 Months - Highway 108

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Nita Mayo - Missing 3 Months - Highway 108

Post by ERIC »

I got this email a couple days ago. I was asked if I would post it.

ERIC
We are writing to you to tell you how desperate we are to
find our Mom, Nita Mayo...
It has been almost 3 months since our Mom went missing in the Sierra Mountains on Highway 108....the SAME highway that Carole Sund, Julie Sund, and Silvina Palosso were murdered in 1999. (Yosemite murders). The Carole Sund Foundation has also put up a reward for the Safe Return of our Mom. Our Mother's car was found with ALL of her belongings inside, but she was no where in sight...our Mom loves and lives for her family....this IS NOT a case of her walking away from life....this is either a case of some sort medical condition that has her disoriented and not knowing who she is (though she was in PERFECT physical condition before she left...she works at a hospital as a nurse), or she was abducted. The area that her car was found in is a resort area with lots of vacationers. We NEED to get the word across the nation to people that have possibly been in the area on August 8th, 2005. People come here to vacation from all over the country. If someone saw something on that Monday....they may never know to tell us because they do not know of her disappearance. PLEASE HELP US!....WE ARE DESPERATE AND IN URGENT NEED. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. (You can also view more info about Mom at texasequusearch.org) If you have any information please call:
Tuolumne County Sheriff's Department 1-800-228-3592

Could you please put this somewhere on your website?

Sincerely,

Cindy Mayo
Nita Mayo

Here's one of the news articles on her: http://www.mymotherlode.com/News/articl ... 1128959760
Last edited by ERIC on Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

Thanks for the bulletin. I pray for her safe return.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I got another email from Cindy. Please read:
It would be great if you and anyone friends or family would go to the AMW.com (America's Most Wanted) site and click on the contact and ask them if they are going to air a show about Mom. On Oct 15-16th, they were in California with us while we had a volunteer search for Mom. Their main focus was Tim Miller from Texasequusearch. They did a day of shooting on our search and about Mom and then a day on Tim. So if they air the show it will be mainly about Tim and then go into Mom's story. They said that they have to convince the (I can't remember the title!) "head person" that their show should be aired, I guess there are many producers doing stories throughout the U.S. And if they convince them, they will air the show in late November. And maybe if a lot of people contact them, they will decide to air the story. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Cindy Mayo
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Good Evening Eric,

Would you be so kind to do one more thing for me? Could you please post the following? When I have more information, I will let you know. Thank you very much. I'm not very good with the wording, but I try! :)

Cindy

We are having another volunteer search on November 19th and 20th, for Nita Mayo, our Mom. The search will be headquartered at Walker River Lodge, 100 Main st. in Bridgeport, California. We need as many volunteers as possible and especially need those with atvs, horses, dogs, jeeps, etc.... Also cameras and ropes. My brother Pete will need a truck with an atv.

We really need your help! If you have any questions, please call Pete at (615) 566-1158.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Cindy Mayo

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FindingNitaMayo/
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Stories like this are so heart-rending. I pray for her safety.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Tracy Mayo says she's not giving up the search for her mother, who hasn't been seen since Aug. 8. when she had coffee with a friend near her home in Hawthorne, Nev.

Nita Mayo's cell phone, purse and keys were found locked in her car two days after she disappeared. Mayo, 64, a licensed practical nurse, had left her home for a drive over the Sonora Pass in California and a day of shopping.

The Tuolumne County (Calif.) Sheriff's Department continues to investigate the disappearance with the FBI in a supporting role, sheriff's Lt. George Ruckman said. The FBI assigned a victim's advocate to the family, Tracy Mayo said.

The case has been frustrating for search-and-rescue personnel, Ruckman said.

Authorities conducted four official searches of the area where Nita Mayo's car was found, using dogs, helicopters, rope-climbing experts and ATVs. The search-and-rescue boss, a 30-year veteran of the department, even searched the area on his own time, Ruckman said.

Tracy Mayo said family members are hoping her mother's profile on "America's Most Wanted" will generate more leads.

"That's always been my gut feeling is that we need to go national because it's such a resort area," Tracy Mayo said.

The show hopes to air the segment during February sweeps, said Avery Mann, the show's head publicist.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Tracy Mayo, whose mother vanished on a trip from Hawthorne to Sonora, Calif., in August, said she will pretend today isn't Christmas.

"It's terrible, but I'll pretend it's just another day," said Mayo, who lives in Fargo, N.D. "Christmas is a time to enjoy family and be with family, and I can't do that right now."

Tracy Mayo's mother, Nita Mayo, 64, was last seen in Hawthorne the morning of Aug. 8. The 5-foot, 140-pound nurse told friends she was taking a day trip over Sonora Pass to go shopping in small villages along the highway. She never came home.

Her car was found about 2½ hours from her home at the Donnell Vista Overlook on California 108, about 12 miles east of Strawberry, Calif. The keys were locked inside, but relatives said the door also opened with a keypad. The woman's purse, wallet and cell phone were in the car. Also in the vehicle were postcards and a refrigerator magnet from the nearby Strawberry General Store.

The only things missing, family members said, was the woman, her camera and her prescription sunglasses.

Police found no sign of foul play, but several intensive searches of the mountainous terrain near her car revealed no trace of Nita Mayo. Her story is scheduled to be featured on the television program "America's Most Wanted" in early 2006.

Mayo's family still believes the mother of four and grandmother of eight is still alive.

"We have to hope," Tracy Mayo said. "That's what keeps us determined. We'll keep going, and we'll keep looking until we find her...The best Christmas our family could hope and pray for is to have our mom back home to enjoy it with us."

Tracy Mayo's sister, Shelly Taylor of Perry, Okla., said the family feels "frustrated and helpless," but has received much support from Nita Mayo's co-workers at Mount Grant General Hospital in Hawthorne.

They've had bake sales and sold Christmas ornaments to finance searches. She said the people of Hawthorne and others who volunteered to help search for her mom have kept the family going.

The sisters said the case hasn't received much attention from national media.

"She's not a young, attractive 20-year-old so we've been told she's not newsworthy," Tracy Mayo said. "That's why we think being on "America's Most Wanted" is so important. We hope that will be a break in this. Somebody had to see something in that tourist area. They just don't know what they saw is important."

She said she disagrees that her mom's age makes her disappearance less of a news story.

"Everyone has had a mother," she said. "Put yourself in our place. If your mom vanished without a trace you'd want everyone to know about it and get as much exposure as possible to help find her. We just want her home."

Reno Gazette Newspaper, Dec. 25, 2005.