UL and the NTSA

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

UL and the NTSA

Post by balzaccom »

Taking this idea of UL travel a bit further, I spent most of Monday at various airports traveling from SFO, to Phoenix, then LA, and back to SFO. But what made the trip considerably more of an adventure than usual was that I was flying ultra-light.

I'd left my wallet at home. I had no ID at all: no drivers' license, no business cards, no credit cards, nothing at all.

Which is how I found out that it is, indeed, possible to fly without a photo ID. They ask a lot of questions, and discuss it all with NTSA in Washington DC...but once they are satisfied that you are who you say you are, they let you fly.

And since each airport has a slightly different protocol, I was able to verify this three times in one day.

Not exactly the way I had planned it, and not something I would recommend. But it is posslble.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: UL and the NTSA

Post by freestone »

Glad to hear you weren't trying to vote in some state with Voter ID laws!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: UL and the NTSA

Post by mokelumnekid »

Hah! When I first read this I had the impression you were flying an ultra-light. You know, the hang gliders with a seat and a lawn mower engine. I thought, "Wow, next thing we know Balzaccom will be flying that thing around the Sierra!" Then it sank into my thick skull you were talking about regular plane travel with nothing in your pockets.

I've always thought those ultra-lights looked like fun but I am told they are very dangerous.