Topo map postings?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Topo map postings?

Post by richlong8 »

What preferred methods are members using these days to post topo maps online in their trip reports showing routes traveled, etc; ?
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Topo map postings?

Post by Bluewater »

I've been using NatGeo to crop and save maps as jpeg files, editing, adding route lines and reducing the file size in photoshop, then adding them to TR's just like other photos.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Re: Topo map postings?

Post by richlong8 »

I don't have photoshop, but I do have an earlier version 7 of Elements. I think that would work. By National Geo, you are referring to TOPO software, correct?
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by calipidder »

I usually post my maps in two ways. The first is through NG Topo - I upload my .gpx and export an image to add to my photo album, like this:

http://photos.calipidder.com/OutdoorAdv ... &k=k88kP3V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also use everytrail to dump the same track on top of an interactive google map to embed in my trip reports and blog posts, like this:

http://calipidder.com/wp/2012/09/basin- ... rton-lake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will try them out. Any other thoughts are most welcome.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

For any map I feel I need more detail, I go to acme mapper, take a screen shot and print it. I also crop multiple screenshot together fairly easily. Best part about it is its free

I generally carry Tom Harrison maps and just print up topos this way if I feel a spot might be tricky. I have never posted them to the internet but i guess that would be just as easy.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

For posting here, I scan my old 15 minute U.S. Geological Survey maps. This allows me to photoshop routes and stuff on the scanned image and the output is surprisingly detailed and crisp.

The ACME mapping site is terrific for route planning and it's really fun. I can be on top of Bishop Pass one moment, and walking the streets of Paris the next!

The old Wildflower Designs mapping software was also excellent, but I find the new National Geographic version produces very poor output. Unfortunately, the Wildflower Designs product is not compatible with the latest versions of Windows.

Mike
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Very helpful. Thank you very much everyone. Keep it coming. I will probably try them all.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Topo map postings?

Post by Bluewater »

Sorry about the vague abbreviation. I meant the National Geographic Topo maps. I just got the most recent version and use it for trip planning, printing maps for trips and making jpegs for TRs. The measuring feature is helpful for measuring distances etc.
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by norcalhiker »

I don't tend to share my trips in detail. I'm kind of secretive like that.

If I share anything, I use scribblemaps.com. I'll draw my trip on a Google Terrain basemap. That gives me a .kml. From there, I either load it into Google Earth and produce a neat overview and elevation profile, or I load it into Gmaps4 (which is a cumbersome process) and share a nice looking topo.

Check it scribblemapss.com it's awesome. :partyman: